Correct thermostat housing for vitesse/2000

Robin

Hello

I need to replace the thermostat housing on my vitesse (running on a Mk2 2000 block) which I think is part number 209014 according to Canleys. I've bought e a replacement stanpart housing which has part number 156333 which seems to fit a number of triumphs. The main water tube (where the top hose attaches)  is slightly shorter but I'm assuming it's OK to use as a replacement?

Thanks

Robin

209014 is the correct one for the Vitesse,I dont` know if the standard top hose will fit properly with the shorter one?

Steve

Hi Steve

Thanks for the reply - it looks as the top hose will fit so I guess there's no other reason why this won't work - especially as my engine is a mk 2 2000 for which 156333 seems to be correct.

Canley says that 29014 is out of stock - any ideas who else stock this part?

Robin

The vitesse housing is different as the rad hose and rad are different. The hose may "fit" but probably not well. 

And teh vitesse and saloon engine are basically identical, just a few tiny differences, you really want the correct vitesse ancillaries/parts.

Rimmers seem to have them.... but not cheap. 

The vitesse housing is different as the rad hose and rad are different. The hose may "fit" but probably not well. 

And teh vitesse and saloon engine are basically identical, just a few tiny differences, you really want the correct vitesse ancillaries/parts.

Rimmers seem to have them.... but not cheap. 

Hi Clive

What's confusing me is that if I bought the housing for a mk 2 2000 (which my engine is) then the correct part would be (as I understand it) 156333 so I'm not sure why I need the vitesse version (even though that's what I've currently got).

You're right about Rimmers!

Robin

Because you are fitting it in a vitesse, not a 2000. The same as if you need points, the vitesse uses a different dizzy to the 2000. And engine mounts, I could go on!

Many cars share engines, but the ancillaries bolted to the engine vary according to what car they fit.

Because you are fitting it in a vitesse, not a 2000. The same as if you need points, the vitesse uses a different dizzy to the 2000. And engine mounts, I could go on!

Many cars share engines, but the ancillaries bolted to the engine vary according to what car they fit.

Hi Clive - sorry to be dumb , but I don't get it. If my engine is a 2000 fitted with 2000 ancillaries, then wouldn't any new parts that I fit be for a 2000 as well? How does the rest of the car know it's got the 'wrong' engine? I'm sure it's obvious but, unfortunately, not to me!

You could fit a GT6 thermostat housing.....

The engine block is the same. The heads are (sometimes!)

What makes it Vitesse is all the bits bolted onto the basic unit. I expect you have a Vitesse radiator fitted. I am pretty certain a vitesse flywheel (very different to a saloon one)

All it comes down to for the thermostat housing is that they are different as the vitesse one fits the  radiator position/style rather better than the more common saloon/spitfire/herald etc one. However, if you wnat to use the saloon one, and can force the hose into position, then go ahead. But you can bet there was a good reason for the different housing....(otherwise they wouldn't have bothered)

You could fit a GT6 thermostat housing.....

The engine block is the same. The heads are (sometimes!)

What makes it Vitesse is all the bits bolted onto the basic unit. I expect you have a Vitesse radiator fitted. I am pretty certain a vitesse flywheel (very different to a saloon one)

All it comes down to for the thermostat housing is that they are different as the vitesse one fits the  radiator position/style rather better than the more common saloon/spitfire/herald etc one. However, if you wnat to use the saloon one, and can force the hose into position, then go ahead. But you can bet there was a good reason for the different housing....(otherwise they wouldn't have bothered)

Yep - take your point Clive. Thanks for the advice. Robin