Uprating brakes on Spitfire IV - Help please

Sue Franklin

You are making the classic (no pun intended) of thinking you have to take a Triumph to a meeting. Not so. In the winter especially it is usual to have none or very few turn up, less so in the summer but get along to the meetings however you can. Info there will make all the car stuff much easier, and usually cheaper to do. Plus avoid all the pitfalls. 

Meetings are teh first thing to do, really before even buying a car......

Also, if you want to call it an emergency brake, call it an emergency brake! :angry: I was once ridiculed for referring to the hydraulics in the rear brake drums as, slave cylinders. It was pointed out to me these were not slave cylinders but, BRAKE cylinders! There are smart Alecs all around us! :lol:  

(Apologise to any Alecs who aren't smart Alecs!)

Hi Caspar,

Helpful bit of detective work there.  I too (as Grahame) was told by my trusted MOT inspector that my handbrake (Vitesse MkII) had to meet a higher standard as it is considered an emergency brake in the event of hydraulic failure.  Whilst I didn't know this to be fact at the time, I wasn't going to argue with him because I could see logic in his statement.  If the brakes failed, I'd probably yank up the handbrake fairly firmly - and in that event I'd want it to work.

Regards,

Tom