GT6 Rear carpet & rear spring tunnel

Mike R

Dear all,

I've recently fitted a carpet I've had hanging around in the to do job list for years. I got to fitting the rear section and got confused.

On the GT6 there is a metal bar between the two rear wheel arches that sits a couple of inches above the rear spring tunnel. This supports the rear boards that sit over the spare wheel and fuel tank.

I've finished the rear carpet so that it sits below the metal bar leaving a 2" gap between carpet and bar. This seems wrong as there is now a gap from the main cabin through to the area under the rear boards.

I've ended up just stuffing some left over blue seat foam to block the gap.

The attached photo is meant to explain better where you can just see the yellow/blue foam where it pokes through the gap.

But does anyone know how this gap is meant to be filled?

post-156-0-91668300-1468346623_thumb.jpeg

It looks to me as though the bar is sitting too high - there's no gap on mine worth speaking of from the bottom of the front face to the carpet. The clue may be the piece of bodywork visible in your photo above the 2 - this is completely masked off on my Mk 3.

Gully

Just been to check and on mine there is the gap you have in the photo but only about 1.5" but I allowed the carpet to stand upright to close the gap.

A Mk1 (and 2) has the option of a front board that extends the load space and butts up to the seats so you cannot see the gap at all and provides an out of sight stowage.  There are tow different load space carpet lengths to suit and it just means you have to fit the upholstered leading edge cover to the front board. 

Dick

My Carpet section is much longer and shaped to go under the bar and part way over the tunnel above the diff/drive shafts.

See picture. I do have a rear seat fitted but that shouldn't make any difference to the carpet which is from one of the expensive moulded sets. 

Maybe your carpet is from a cheaper set and is shorter then the original?

post-22-0-83794800-1468363399_thumb.jpg

Just checked mine. There's a gap under my bar enough to squeeze my fingers in so, 1/2" ? Like Andy's my carpet goes a fair distance beyond and underneath the bar. Your's, mine and Andy's are mk3s, Dick's is a mk1 so there may be a difference there. My bar also stands proud of the rear carpet, your carpet stands proud of the bar, somethings not right! :wacko: Could the bar and the rear shelf have been elevated, to accommodate something in the spare tyre space?

Thanks all for your comments. My carpet is a moulded set, bought a few years ago and only just fitted.

It does extend a reasonable distance under the bar so sounds similar to the others here and very similar to Cookie's when viewed from behind. The carpet isn't proud of the bar, just not quite clear in the photo.

I was just surprised that the gap existed, seems an odd design. I might cover my foam bits in old carpet and make it a bit neater.

Thanks again,

Mike

Mike

It's not clear in the photo but do you have the vinyl covered "upstand" that fits to the cross bar. The rear deck boards and carpet should butt against it. You shouldn't see the board or carpet edges looking from the cabin.

My carpet extends well under the bar similar to  Andy and Doug's. Better still buy a rear seat, I can recommend it.

Cheers

Alan

Yes i have the vinyl covered upstand and no the rear boards butt against it. Sounds like what I have is "normal" for a GT6.

Rear seat .... I ground out on speed bumps if i traverse at more than 0.1 mph as it is without sitting bodies in the back. (I say bodies because obviously the arms and legs wouldn't fit)

Cheers,

Mike

• 1 month later...

Very interested in the last two photos in the link. These are two different GT6s (one has a tail badge one doesn't) The last one appears to have a different hatch rubber seal from the previous one and all the others. This is the same as my car, most other GT6s have an "I" section seal, mine is a "P" section. Mine has always had this, since 1978 anyway, I'm told it's is wrong but the "I" section just won't fit. I've seen a lot of mk3s with protruding hatches due to the "I".  My hatch is flush with the body and looks "right".