Rev counter/ tachometer wanted

steviegeester

Hi all. I have a '73 GT6 which I have fitted a 2.5PI engine to. I now need an electric rev counter instead of cable driven original one. There are loads the older style rev counters on Ebay with the larger numbers, but I'm looking for the later style to match my speedo. Does any body have, or know where I can get a late spec 6 cylinder rev counter. The number on the face Should be RVC 2611/00F 

Later Stags and Spitfires have similar looking ones, but I need a 6 cylinder one from a late 2.5PI or 2500s.

If you can help, please message me back.

Regards,

Steve.

hi steve,

i have a few which i converted from jaguar xj6 rev counters, virtually they are 6 cyl rev counters with the late triumph face on instead of the jag one.

i have had them tested and they are spot on. if you p.m me next week, i will send you some pics.

cheers. ian.

You could get JDO Instruments to convert it for you. I got them to convert my MK3 GT6 Rev Counter to electric for my 123Tune electronic ignition, works perfectly and was a fast turnaround. This was because i wanted to keep the original "look" with the indicator and demister lights (not sure if the 2.5PI or 2500 ones have this).

Might be more then you're willing to spend, not sure.

http://www.jdo1.com/rev_counters.html

Hi John, thanks for that. I didn't know you could get them converted. I'll keep it in mind if all else fails. I'm not too bothered about the warning lights as I fitted a warning light cluster from a Doly. I also changed the speedo to a stag one with a Doly speedo cable to mate up to the LT77  5 speed gearbox, so there isn't any warning lights in either the speedo or the rev counter. I might look into getting a Spitty rev counter converted. I'm sure I've got one kicking about somewhere.

Thanks for all your help,

Steve

• 8 months later...

I have a 1963 Vitesse 6 which has a single clock speedo with fuel gauge.

It has had fitted under the dash a combined oil pressure/water temp gauge.

I also have a spare mechanical Rev Counter which looks like it came from a later model GT6 that I would like to fit.

I am looking at the simplest way to do this, and if an electrical conversion (or a better rev counter for the job) is needed I am happy to take recommendations.

(I have a later dash with additional cut outs which I can use as a straight swap)

Many thanks

You would need the distributer from a later vitesse (best, it is the lucas one) or the delco GT6 version with a take-off for the mechanical rev counter.

Using an electronic rev counter is rather easier. Available from Triumph saloons and other makes, but the faces are likely to have the wrong style of font. Or get a mechanical one converted, but not exactly cheap....

Is it possible to swap over the face from mechanical to electronic tachos? If so it may make your search easier. Also, if you're handy with a soldering iron you can convert between 4- 6- and 8-cylinder Smith's electronic tachos with a resistor change - the voltage-driven ones anyway.

Richard

If anyone is interested, I have a brand new never-fitted aftermarket 6-cylinder rev counter that fits anywhere the driver wants it to go; rectangular design and looks quite nice.

Only downside is that it’s for positive earth and so may not be suitable for many of our Triumphs.

Any use to anyone?

post-151-0-58190600-1430394854_thumb.jpg