tools

skelly68

Hello.

These vehicles would have AF nuts & bolts so you will need spanners and sockets to match. I would suggest a 3/8" socket drive as easier to use in the more confined spaces of the car.

A set of combination spanners with ring and open ends ranging from 1/4" to 1" will be sufficient to get you started. Remember you will often have to double your sockets and spanners as the nut will need holding whilst undoing the bolt; or vice versa.

Always worth giving nuts and bolts a shot of Plus Gas to help break any rust that may also be holding the two together.

You can never have too many sockets and spanners :)  !!

Good luck.

Richard.

i bought most of my spanners and sockets from car boot sales and autojumbles over the years,you are more likely to get a/f and whit sizes too and the quality will be better than modern stuff off ebay etc--for instance my 1/2 socket set is from the second world war era and still works perfectly and a whole good basic tool kit can be assembled quite quickly and added to in the future at a fraction of the cost of new.do not be tempted by cheap chinese kits as these are mostly rubbish and can be dangerous when they break as they often do.

good luck

Mole grips are wonderful things. Oil/grease gun. Torque wrench. Screw drivers, Philips and flat blade. My car has a few metric nuts and bolts which were fitted as standard (Why?!!!) I'm not sure about yours but a few may have crept in over the years. Also, a cheap multi meter.

A selection of hammers and pry bars is always useful.

Also an angle grinder (and matching facemask)

What sort of restoration? Are you planning on bodywork? Or just mechanical. Not being funny, but sounds like you have little experience?

You also need a GOOD trolley jack, and decent axle stands. Read up on working under cars safely.

You can never have too many sockets and spanners :)  !!

You never have, especially the one that you need at that particular moment. Be prepared for the size you require to disappear into a black hole or be snatched by Gremlins and hidden just before you require it.

However: good second-hand spanners and sockets are often miles better quality than modern Far-Eastern copies; if you don't find any in your local Cash Converters or whatever then Halfords or the Draper set in the link are good. You don't require really professional-quality tools, just good solid ones that will last in a home garage environment.

I had 3 sets of AF spanners and found, when I needed it, I had lost the 1/2 inch from each of them! :angry: Another trip to Halfords. :(  A week later I found one in a dressing gown pocket and my daughter found another under my grandson's pillow.

Go to Halfords and look at their tool sets.

Their Professional range is made for them by SnapOn, and is superb value for money, if you can still find some on sale.

Their present range of "Advanced" tools is made by someone else, I don't know who, and I don't have any, so can't comment, but have heard good things.

AND, Halfords offer a 'no quibble' exchange of any of their tools  that fails - this is true, I've done it.

See: http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/spanners-wrenches/halfords-advanced-af-combination-spanner-set?cm_mmc=Google+PLA-_-Tools-_-Spanners+&+Wrenches-_-205021&_$ja=tsid:60494%7Ccgn:GoogleShopping%7Ckw:205021&istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istItemId=miqqlm&istBid=tztw&_$ja=tsid:35522|cid:344535484|agid:25437357364|tid:aud-80976662749:pla-219049742884|crid:89797547524|nw:g|rnd:1157945728005683883|dvc:c|adp:1o1&gclid=Cj0KEQjw2ua8BRDeusOkl5qth4QBEiQA8BpQcBvywOW267f3_ScwWDHSwFbkRDdeAHq1UwWZqjFNfngaAjl_8P8HAQ  Set of AF spanners. in fact I'd buy two, you always need somthing the hold the other end of a bolt.

Match it with this socket set,   http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/socket-sets/halfords-advanced-55-piece-socket-set-1-2?cm_mmc=Google+PLA-_-Tools-_-Socket+Sets-_-169466&_$ja=tsid:60494%7Ccgn:GoogleShopping%7Ckw:169466&istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istItemId=miqmmi&istBid=tzxp&_$ja=tsid:35522|cid:344535484|agid:25437357364|tid:aud-80976662749:pla-211141361524|crid:89797547524|nw:g|rnd:16344162929346952124|dvc:c|adp:1o4&gclid=Cj0KEQjw2ua8BRDeusOkl5qth4QBEiQA8BpQcKVHloPcofCKVyPRY6CHFyNaEGtu8Dn2-8hEQIhcjN8aArWT8P8HAQ and you are ready for anything.

John