Fumes

00/63484

Herald 13/60 convertible with 1500 Kingston Sportscars spit engine and overdrive gearbox

Is it an idea to attach some sponge like material around and below the gearshift on the underside of the gearbox cover to resist certain fumes entering the cabin?

The exhaust is good and seals are firm, the escaping fumes from the rocker cover are contained, but still they come... 

It is much more noticeable when the hood is up...but hey - it isn't always sunny and dry!

David Freeman

Certainly people do stick heat and noise reduction material to the underside of the cover and there's no reason not to. My car has a strange plastic pillow draped over the clutch and gearbox, it's filled with fibre glass (?), I'm told is standard. But how about holes in the bulk head? My steering column was like a banana in a bucket going through to the engine bay, I'd lost the steering column end cap and washer, so lots of heat and fumes coming in that way. There are also previous owner drilled holes allowing cables through. Then there's the brake and clutch pedal rubber covers which quite a lot of people don't manage to push back into position and just sit on top of the mechanism.

you can plug the gear lever hole with a sponge doughnut  but if the gaitor is in good condition you wont upgrade the sealing 

the gaitor should do the fume sealing. 

the seals around the tunnel as said are more likely to be the source,  the rubber seals are not that good at old wonky panels a 25mm square of close  cell foam glued around the front face will  seal most imperfections in tunnel fitting

a good lip seal  or balloon seal on the plenum  front  flange of the heater bulkhead panel is really a must have .

as is a good foam seal around the base of the heater box where it passes thro the baulkhead

Doug's spot on pedal boots , notorious poor fitting once disturbed, , choke cable and heater cable grommets amonst the many other holes in the baulhed etc