Is this the correct dashboard for my Vitesse Mk2 ?

Paul H

Looks to me like a copy of the original, which would have had the ashtray (Essential wear in the 60s, and bigger on a Vitesse than a Herald) where the supplementary gauges and warning light are now. Presumably Triumph thought Vitesse owners were wealthier, and therefore needed somewhere to park their cigar!

Regards

Steve C

Ive checked on line and pretty sure its the correct dashboard for the MK 2 - The ashtray being on the dash top

The following link shows pics identical to mine and they are labeled as MK2

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=vitesse+dashboard&rlz=1C1CHFX_enGB512GB513&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiUl43Z69zOAhXsKsAKHb74Cc4Q_AUICCgB&biw=1647&bih=940#imgdii=Q8KJRyxZNmfRuM%3A%3BQ8KJRyxZNmfRuM%3A%3BR6MmxVt4Cn0xYM%3A&imgrc=Q8KJRyxZNmfRuM%3A

Paul 

Sorry, you are dead right. Back to my library...

The early 1600 Vits were like a Herald 1200 with just the one big speedo on a veneered dash. No Vitesse ever had the cardboard dash of the early 948 Heralds.The later 1600s from late 1963 had the bigger wood -faced ashtray, but with a paired speedo, rev counter and smaller fuel and temperature guages on either side of the two main instruments. (I have one of those in the loft...). Herald 13/60 s from 1967 had the two main dials only, with switchgear in a plastic binnacle borrowed from the FWD 1300s, and the ashtray on top of the dash. Mk 2 Vits from autumn 1968 had 2 the smaller instruments above each other to the right of the two main instruments, which included a revised 120 MPH speedo, and a new sprung-type wheel, with switchgear in a 13/60 plastic binnacle and the ashtray on top (ideally placed to miss it altogether and burn a hole in the dashtop padding!).

Phew! I think that's about right, I relly should get out more...

Steve C

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Hi Pete , I used a cutter like this https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Power+Tool+Accessories/d80/Holesaws/sd1530/Holesaw+Kit/p23014

Better to use a slightly smaller cutter than required and finish using a file as the varnished surface can fracture . Measuring your initial pilot hole is important and with the correct measurement you will miss the cross bar section. There will be a lot of dust so so put sheets down and wear a dust mask

Good luck