Completely dead

DrKai

Just put a new battery in the gt6. Turned over a couple of times then went completely dead with ignition switch now brining nothing to life. There were no bangs, battery in right way round etc. Was assuming a fuse had gone but they all look fine. Any suggestions?

Old battery was ok but was cheap and had needed a charge lately so thought why not swap it out. New battery in- it turned over a couple of times then died. From then ignition switched produced nothing and no electrical items working. Put old battery back in checked all fuses and as many important connections as I could find. Still nothing. Then left it a while tried again and ignition switch returned to life but on starting just got a tink tink and it went dead again. Now back to nothing electrical working. Have checked both batteries which are fully charged.

also give the inside of the terminal clamps a good clean to remove back to shiny lead, not the dull lacquered finish which is good at insulating

check the wires to the solenoid , the brown feed to everything apart from the starter comes off this terminal post

then stick a screwdriver cross the solenoid terminals  ,, should geta good spark and the starter should burst into life

if it doesnt suspect a starter fault

the ignition   brown   to white  wires  are  not fused 

pete

DrKai,

As you will know, diagnosis is not a matter of inspiration but investigation.

And for electrical problems what you need is a multimeter!

And a circuit diagram.

Start at the battery and work along the circuit that has failed, testing for Volts.    There will be a very slight drop as you move away from the battery, due to the small resistances in wires and connectors, but somewhere you will find a sudden drop or no Volts.   Between the last good test point and now is your fault.

The symptoms and history (see the similarity to medical diagnosis?) you have given us.    Now a differential, that either a fuse has blown, or a connection failed.    There are no fuses on the starter circuit, or the ignition, but the ignition switch has a live feed from the battery, a thick brown wire.     Is it live, 12V or the same as battery, at the switch, with your multimeter?   If not work back from there, according to your GT6 model.

JOhn

Ok so initial diagnostic session complete. The following things happened in chronological order

Battery back in

Ignition switch on- ignition light on, everything functioning

Press start button- immediate life and runs perfectly.

Turn off

Ignition switch on- ignition light on everything functioning

Press start- 1 click and dead as before

This repeats

Start measuring voltages big drop over the solenoid.

Ignition switch on- nothing

Short solenoid- ignition light on, everything functioning.

Press start button- perfect start

From then on car starts fine with ignition switch and start button a further 10 times.

Intermittent solenoid problem?

They do go green and mouldy inside, some you can strip others are mend to destruction

A malfunction of the solenoid should not affect the ignition lightsas these feed off the heavy brown on the battery side of the sol.

Have you removed and cleaned the cable eyelets and cleaned the sol posts and nuts .

pete

Quote "Start measuring voltages big drop over the solenoid."

Is this between the two big terminals with big cables going to them to battery and starter?   There should be NO volts to the starter unless the solenoid is activated.

Or is it between the White wire with a red stripe going to the solenoid, and earth?     That's the actuating wire, from the ignition switch, and should have no volts unless you actuate it with the ignition switch.

JOhn

I may have explained this poorly. It's push button start. The issue wasn't that it wasn't starting and shorting the solenoid made the engine turn it was that the ignition switch wasnt producing an ignition light or any electrical activity to allow the push button to be used. When I put the ignition switch on then shorted the solenoid the light came on allowing me to then use the push start. Hope that makes sense?

I may have explained this poorly. It's push button start. The issue wasn't that it wasn't starting and shorting the solenoid made the engine turn it was that the ignition switch wasnt producing an ignition light or any electrical activity to allow the push button to be used. When I put the ignition switch on then shorted the solenoid the light came on allowing me to then use the push start. Hope that makes sense?

• 1 month later...