Herald Convertible - Seat belts and child seat

Pete1200

Hello All ... My first post, so bear with me ;) ... Have just re-entered the Triumph world after a 25 year pause(!) with a 1963 Herald 1200 Convertible ... It doesn't have seat belts fitted, so would like to fit ASAP and also wonder what the best child seat/safety solution is for my daughter who is five ... Car will be based in Surrey ... Would be very happy to hear from anyone who can supply and can fit them ... Ideally, would like to fit authentic/original seat belts, or the closest thing to them ... Thanks ... Pete 

Rear belts?

Absolute nightmare. Not seen any 3 point ones I would use. I had lapbelts for my kids.

Trouble is there is nothing with any strength for the shoulder belt to attach to. 

It may be possible to get a strucrre made up in 1" box section, from the bottom of the B post up to the corner of the seat, and then replace the U channel framework with said box section. Plus some uprights wit braces too. 

But there is nothing on the market. I saw one installation by a seat belt firm that I considered worse than useless, all it would have done is caused different injuries to no belt.

(and welcome! sorry for sounding so negative, but best be honest)

We were lucky. 21 years ago you could get child seats that attached really well using a lap belt,the child seats then had their own harness. I know later they used booster seats with just the lap belt. They did 10 staffords in that car. And the rear seat squab was never used, kept them low and out the wind.

If you are handy with a welder,make a frame/cage to support the rear seatbelts, or if deep pockets get someone to make it for you.

Otherwise lap belts will be your best bet.

• Like 1

That looks like a good installation. I would add th e caveat though that no Herald will ever be as safe as even the most basic modern. Even with a roll cage, properly-mounted decent seats and 4 point harnesses, you still have no crumple zones, side impact bars or airbags. That said, we classic drivers probably drive more defensively, and being in a convertible certainly keeps you alert! Most of us also drive far lower annual mileages, at quieter times, and choose our routes with care, all of which reduces our exposure to risk.

It is a matter of weighing the risks, and making an individual choice.

Regards

Steve C

• Like 1

We do have crumple zones! I know of a few cars that have had serious crashes, and bodywork absorbed the impact well. I rolled a spitfire with no cage, and walked away (still think I was very lucky, now have a decent roll-bar)

That installation looks to be the best one I have seen by a country mile .I know clearance between the seatback and hood can be tricky, so that makes it even better. I also suspect there are diagonals going forward which are unseen. Well done to Frank!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Be interesting to see some pictures.

Have you tested the system for strength? Remember the force on a seatbelt is many times the bodyweight of the person. So a basic minimum requirement (my idea, and only a rough test) would to get a couple of reasonably strong blokes to pull on each belt together in the same direction that any force would be in an accident. 

Sorry, but I don't see any extra bracing in the fore-aft direction. 

In the event of an accident, those little rails at the sides of the seats will fold up, and the belts do nothing useful.

To be worthwhile, a diagonal brace from the corner of that top rail where the seatbelt goes over is needed, right down to teh bottom of the Bpost on to a reinforced bracket. And teh top rail needs to be something stronger. I considered 1" square thick walled tubing.

And the uprights I would remake in something similar, with diagonals going back but avoiding the hood.

Even that lot would not meet any regulations, but would be several times stronger.

• Like 1

Thanks again. Spoke to Quickfit today who suggested they may do some strengthening, but wants to see the vehicle to evaluate.

Any strong views on the best solution? How about fitting front belts and having the booster seat in the front passenger seat? Is that legal? Gosh this is getting confusing. Thanks and apologies.

• 3 weeks later...

I built up a frame in steel box-section for three point, inertia-reel rear seatbelts for my Vitesse.  I did it a while ago and now the children who used them are adults and way too big to go anywhere near the tiny rear seats.  Still they're there if needed and one adult can just about fit in at a push.  The design incorporates a fold-down backrest for luggage.  And I recall I used Quickfit to do the alterations to a set of Spitfire inertia reel seatbelts.

Tom

post-600-0-82846700-1480512322_thumb.jpg

• Like 1