Carpet underlay, sound proofing, heat shield

Adrian

This winter I am planning on installing the tssc moulded carpet set in the gt6. I'd like your opinion on what underlay to use, I'm sure there are mixed opinions. Also where to install, is there a sound/heat shield installation guide.

There appears to be a large selection of bitumen, foam, foil and fibre products. A lot are really expensive so don't want any false starts!

Thanks Adrian

I think you have hit the nail on the head. It depends on what your willing to spend. It's definitely a good idea to go for the club moulded carpet, pricey but much much easier to fit. For soundproofing I used the fibre one which I'd give an ok to. Someone who has fitted different types would be best to answer which is the best

Ive just purchased sound deadening pads from Ebay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151155678947?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT  I calculated for a full cover throughout the interior of my Vitesse was about 5sq metres - The deadening pads pack covers 4 sq metres so should be ok as ive read its not necessary to have 100% cover - Im just working the boot area and it goes on easy and moulds corners very well , easy enough to cut as well - A heat gun would assist in more difficult areas - To go on top of the pads  Ive purchased http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252376922279?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT which is a 5 metre roll of sound proofing deadening 6mm insulation closed cell foam which will be going throughout the interior .Both products have a peel off outer so easy to apply 

Hope this helps

Paul 

If you're using underfelt, and I use the bitumen-sided rolls available from many auto jumbles, then something as simple as the reflective roll of foil you get for behind house radiators will do the job under this. I don't see any point in wasting huge amounts of money for heat-reflecting pads as used in high-performance rally cars, you just won't see the benefit in our cars. A few anti-drum stick-on panels or sound deadening pads in the middle of the floor pans will help, but a good underlay will deaden road and engine noise very well especially if used on the vertical surfaces of the bulkhead where most of the engine noise comes from. 

I' m considering the same issues but worry about fire resistance or toxic fumes if using materials not designed for this. I have carpet underlay under the boot carpet which works well but more wary of using closed cell foam etc on bulkhead, especial if using anything in engine bay. Might seem over fussy but collision fires do happen. I well remember using great wadges of foam rubber behind the dash in an my old Mini Cooper in the early 70s and a minor wiring fault led us to bale out on the hard shoulder with the car full of acrid smoke! We had to open the windows while braking hard from 70! These memories stick with you.

Cheers

Dave