Coming Back after 30+ years

PatK

Hi everyone, just to say hello. My names Pat and I now live in sunny Dorset. I joined the TSCC 30+ years ago when we bought our first triumph Herald 1250, EJA 835C, a wedgwood blue convertible also known to the family as " Bessie ", she served us long and well and both my sons who were toddlers when we bought her second hand, learnt to drive on her.  I restored a 1250 saloon chassis off which took a long long time 

and then sold her to an enthusiast reg RFS 83H, I wonder where both cars are now? I then had a long term love hate affair with Lotus  ( lots of trouble usually serious ) but have now regained consciousness and returned to my first love Triumphs. Having had and loved Heralds, but always fancied a Vitesse, i took the plunge and bought a 2 litre Mk2 with the expert help of Pete Lewis, so thank you again Pete, where would the club be without experts like Pete and others on this forum.

As I start to get to grips with the Vitesse I'm sure there will be many pleas for help from the forum, so thank you all in advance.

Must go now and gaze with wonder at the straight six engine,

Cheers

Pat

• Like 3

Pat welcome! I had a look on the DVLA inquiries web site and sadly EJA, although still blue, has not been taxed since 2008, RFS not taxed since 2003. Neither SORN so I think that means they've been scrapped. :(

Pete Lewis is indeed a guru! Did he have his yellow pom-pom slippers on when he came to see you?

• Like 1

Oi, Doug cant drive in them on or they take me back to a home , to dribble with the inmates,

pats in dorset and the car was being sold in stevenage so with some tic tak via HQ and I went to review the car to save Pat a long drive, same place as Aiden got his GT6 ive been there a few times

to Andy Wilkes who is prettty straight as a trader , you get what he says , normally well presented cars

its a herts and beds area service you know Ha !

where me slippers

Pete

Just a bit of a thread drift - sorry - but that's where I bought my GT6 about 18 months ago.  I flew down to Luton from sunny Scotland, did the business and flew home again.  He seemed a very nice fellow and I had no worries about him at all, it all went really smoothly.

Euan

Pat welcome! I had a look on the DVLA inquiries web site and sadly EJA, although still blue, has not been taxed since 2008, RFS not taxed since 2003. Neither SORN so I think that means they've been scrapped. :(

Pete Lewis is indeed a guru! Did he have his yellow pom-pom slippers on when he came to see you?

Thanks for checking the cars out Doug, how sad, but there's probably many more members on this forum who also have tears in their eyes when they remember one that has gone to that great breakers yard in the sky!

My dad had a old saying about buying a car,

they have more reasons to to sell it than you have to buy it

Its unfortunate when a purchase becomes a drain or a poor experience

its especially difficult when buying a car with 40 or more years of misguided twiddling by previous owners

Its something you just cant reveal until you get under its skin, and find out the foibles of the classic car hobby,

its what you see , what you want all cloaked with a gamble

theres many of us bought a dream and spent years working round the nighmare of reality

• Like 1

Pete. That sums up my experience very nicely.

The car was subsequently inspected after it was purchased and condemned as a 'death trap'. Having two young children, this has left a feeling of resentment towards the trader who should have known about the dangerous faults.

Thankfully the car is now in a safe road worthy condition, and my family are now slowly buying into my dream of classic car ownership and all the pleasures it can bring.

• 2 months later...

Hello Pete, 

Just to put in my two pence in. I brought my Vitesse MK 1 from Andy Wilkes and what a nice surprise to meet and deal with some one who knows his Triumphs. I went to view the Vitesse and he was so helpful, even putting the kettle on.  All his information was critical to me as it was my first jump into classic car ownership.

Once i'd brought the car i could even ring/text him about ideas to improve on etc and can still email him for advice.

A great bloke with great service and sold me a great Vitesse which the family love (It was in CCW week before last in value my classic)  :D

Thats good , I dont have any ties with andy other than he sells tidied up cars and when members ask for

advice Im in the area and Hq point them my , I try to be objective , not easy when its some elses money

youre playing with when dealing with a 45yr old nightmare and values are climbing at a rapid rate

pete