Problem with piston dropping on Stromberg 150cd

daverclasper

Hi folks

Have done this before quite a few times fairly easily.

Have removed the diaphragm and refitted it with tabs correctly located. Now having real trouble tightening the top cover (diagonally opposite sides a little at a time) without the piston sticking (one screw seems more rogue than the others and even the slightest turn will cause this).

Any clues would be great thanks

Cheers, Dave

Dave.

Have you replaced the top cover in exactly the same position prior to removing it and have you replaced the damper units in to their correct dashpot - basically have you done everything EXACTLY as to how it was before commencing work ??

It may even be as simple as a piece of grit preventing the pot to sit square or perhaps the rogue screw has carved its own thread in to the body - may be worth swapping the screws around and trying different holes.

Just one of the above incorrectly fitted can produce a problem.

It's all I can think of at the moment.

Regards.

Richard.

yes  undo the big nut on the jet holder 1/2 turn n give is a light tap with a spanner , make sure the piston is at its lowest point 

re nip the jet holder nut and then see if the problem persists

if the piston slides easy in the top cover  when its off with no sticking then jet centralising is most likely .

Pete

Hi and thanks a lot for getting back

The top cover is in correct and it's usual position. The jet assembly not fitted yet. The piston moves freely in the top cover and carb body.

The problem appears to be a super sensitivity when doing the screws up. Pushing the piston up while doing alternating (1/8 turns) of screws and it will often bind.

Backing screw back and tweaking others, then screwing again and I have finally got the piston to drop, though it is slow (compared to other carb) and doesn't make the reassuring noise when it contacts the bridge.

Not sure if I can successfully center (my brand new) jet and needle while like this and also carb may not function properly.

Cheers, Dave

Hi. It's the original diaphragm (another story why I removed it), though looking back, I fitted the inner tab of diaphragm correctly in line, though there wasn't (to me) an obvious way to locate the inner edge centrally, so did it by eye. This could maybe result in the top cap bore being a bit to one side when the outer edge fits into the carb body?. 

Cheers, Dave     

Daves on a good point and with no needle fitted .........

some diaphragms are like a thick rubber not a film fimsy as they should be

They should be very flexible and thin , the thick versions buckle up and resist a smooth drop

With no needle fitted there is nothing to make contact , if the piston slides in the top cover then It should when screwed down,

try it with the diaphragm removed

there is a definite recess in the piston and casing to locate the lugs on the outer rim and the inner hole

pete

• Like 1

Doug, on that I can only surmise the thick ones were made from out dated dutch cap for an elephant

I cant see what can affect the piston slide by tightening the screws in the cap , its not going to distort

they are not graded or selective fits , mass produced and thrown together out of racks and bins

unless something has happened in the past to distort the cover or bend the slide

but it slides freely untiil dave nips the screws, , theres no needle to jam,

just the spring and diaphragm

pete

Having just gone through a similar process, one of my carbs started sticking open on my vitesse.

I bit the bullet and bought some new Diaphragm - Hydrin Based - 150 Type.( Bio fuel resistant)

They are a much better fit and are thinner, than parts I have bought from other suppliers.

http://zenithcarb.co.uk/cd-diaphragms/diaphragm-hydrin-based-150-types.html

certainly worked for me :) .

Regards Mike