GT6/Stag fuel cap

lincolnsix

I have bought a cap with a key from ebay, the lock on mine is badly worn you can push it open without

the key.  This one worked a couple of times then no more.

I have soaked it overnight with WD40 but looking down the barrel with a torch, you can see some of 

the tumblers are not clearing properly. There is a brass circlip on the end of the barrel but I am trying 

to prise it off  but no chance.

Is there any hope of getting a replacement barrel, it's looks like a 'one off', it has to have the hook 

piece on the end?

Have contacted the seller, he assures me it works fine with the key supplied.

Any help please,             thanks John

sound like the key is worn or from elswhere.

sorry not much help here,  there are some good key /barrel shops but i dont have the contacts   maybe  a google search

others on here have suggestions im sure 

its normal that it works for the seller but fails with the customer ....odd that !!!!

pete

The brass circlip should come off easily. Mine is quite loose. More WD40 required, possibly.! I've modified my three door barrels and petrol cap barrel so that one key opens all. I bought a pair of door key barrels on Ebay and cannibalised the new and existing tumblers to make all the barrels the same. There's 6 or 7 sets on Ebay and rimmers also sell them.

Thanks to Doug for the Rimmers info.

On their website they are listing lock and keys, but they state they are for later manufactured cap, it's look the same to me.

If I ever get the old circlip out, I will take it to them and compare ----- lucky I am in Lincoln.

John.

If I ever get the old circlip out, I will take it to them and compare ----- lucky I am in Lincoln.

John.

Any High-Street locksmith will do it, and may be able to repair the lock while you wait too. Take the entire cap along, it will probably cost pennies and they have all the hassle.

I have got the circlip off and can now see that the key is not allowing a couple of the tumblers to clear,  also the key is too long.

The seller has a 100% positive feedback,  I will see if he agrees to paying my extra costs.

John

I took the lock that I bought off ebay to Rimmers to compare with those they are advertising ---- wrong size!

These are for the last batch of caps they had remanufactured, the barrels are too small.

I have taken the barrel and key to a locksmiths, the guy could not believe that the key ever turned it at all.

The key number should be on the tumblers.

I now await the results.     I have tried all the possible Stag people for a new barrel,  same answer they are obsolete.

John

Finally got this sorted, the locksmith found a pair of Land Rover keys which work.

I have replaced the hinge pin to take out the wear on the flap and wrapped a small amount of tape round the ferrule on the barrel 

where it fits in the housing,  that's taken the looseness out.

If anybody is interested the part no.for the original cap lock is   519352       not  515496 which is the one Rimmers sells for the

remanufactured cap.  Mick Dolphin lists one for the 2000 mk 2,  but again it's  515496   

John