Triumph Vitesse MK2 Distributor

Paul H

Just checked the distributor to check the advance retard by blowing through the tube and noticed there is a wire loose , the base rotated but the wire looks like its come away - is it a case of resoldering - the electronic points are accuspark and came with the car

Checked and the accuspark seems to be very cost effective, are they reliable ?  I was considering keeping a set of points as a spare or another accuspark 

Any input welcomed  

Paul 

post-1431-0-69212800-1487341620_thumb.jpg

Paul.

You are going to get a number of conflicting reports on this thread !!

For the Vitesse I used SimonBBC electronic ignition that fits within the dizzy.

On the Alpine I went for an Accuspark fully converted dizzy.

To date, both have provided faultless service - so I can only speak as I find. I know that some owners have had dissapointing results with Accuspark and I wonder if that occured during the early days of that company when I think their products were not as good as they are now.

Others will say the only way forward is 123 or Amethyst, it really does depend how far up the tech ladder you want to go and also what you will be doing with the car performance wise.

Stand by for the pros & cons updates !!!

Oh by the way, are you going to Stoneleigh ??

Regards.

Richard.

Paul.

You are going to get a number of conflicting reports on this thread !!

For the Vitesse I used SimonBBC electronic ignition that fits within the dizzy.

On the Alpine I went for an Accuspark fully converted dizzy.

To date, both have provided faultless service - so I can only speak as I find. I know that some owners have had dissapointing results with Accuspark and I wonder if that occured during the early days of that company when I think their products were not as good as they are now.

Others will say the only way forward is 123 or Amethyst, it really does depend how far up the tech ladder you want to go and also what you will be doing with the car performance wise.

Stand by for the pros & cons updates !!!

Oh by the way, are you going to Stoneleigh ??

Regards.

Richard.

Hi Richard - thanks for Accuspark info and yes im going to Stoneleigh , are you selling or buying ?

My Vitesse will be purely used for touring so reliability is the key issue 

Regards

The reason that wire has pulled out is someone has used the wrong type of wire, that wire normally would be a cloth covered braided wire that is more flexible and comes fixed to the moving plate.

The reason that wire has pulled out is someone has used the wrong type of wire, that wire normally would be a cloth covered braided wire that is more flexible and comes fixed to the moving plate.

Thanks Ben , not sure how long the cable has been broken - Will the dizzy function in this state ?

Regards

Paul 

there is some connection between the plates with the pivot and sprung links underneath but the wire needs to belt and braces 

the base plate of any lecy unit generally needs a earth return ,via the base plate

if you re make a diy version nip to Maplins or similar and get some silicon sleeved it is  nice and floppy and stands the heat

as Ben say thats been fixed and the wire has gone rigid

i have no real experience of the accuspark , have used aldon and lumenition with great success.

i did get involved witha local car ( it will be on the CT stand at stoneleigh) and this had accuspark, and with a strobe the spark was all over the place 

with  jumping sweep of around 15 degrees as it idles ,, there is no slop in the dizzy its in good nick ,  

swapped to try on number 6 and again very different result   6 was stable  1 was hopeless .

there were reports in a magazine way back that on some cheap units the  trigger magnets were irregular positions

cant back that up, some work fine , like Richards ,    others well ... try one a  see how you get on 

would like to have refitted the points to see what changes but run out of time  

Pete

there is some connection between the plates with the pivot and sprung links underneath but the wire needs to belt and braces

the base plate of any lecy unit generally needs a earth return ,via the base plate

if you re make a diy version nip to Maplins or similar and get some silicon sleeved it is nice and floppy and stands the heat

as Ben say thats been fixed and the wire has gone rigid

i have no real experience of the accuspark , have used aldon and lumenition with great success.

i did get involved witha local car ( it will be on the CT stand at stoneleigh) and this had accuspark, and with a strobe the spark was all over the place

with jumping sweep of around 15 degrees as it idles ,, there is no slop in the dizzy its in good nick ,

swapped to try on number 6 and again very different result 6 was stable 1 was hopeless .

there were reports in a magazine way back that on some cheap units the trigger magnets were irregular positions

cant back that up, some work fine , like Richards , others well ... try one a see how you get on

would like to have refitted the points to see what changes but run out of time

Pete

Thanks Pete for the silicon solution , found some in the shed which I had used on a model boat yonks ago , never throw anything away ????