New to the forum - Kent

Hi All,

I recently sold my Hillman Super Imp at the start of the year as a gateway to hopefully getting my first Triumph this year.

I'd love to learn more about the practicalities of owning and driving a Spitfire and wondered if there are any Kent or South East London meets to come along to?

Thanks for any advice you can offer and it's great to see so many people enjoying such beautiful cars!

Rob

Welcome Bob, Having owned a number of Spitfires I found they are one of the most practical sports cars you can work on. They were the last mast produced traditional British roadster, going back to the 1930's, that has a separate chassis. And great fun to drive and economical to own.

Club meetings are given in the back of your Courier. The TSSC West Kent web site - www.tssc-westkent.org

Dave

Thanks for all coming back to me so soon!

I appreciate the tips Dave, Hildenborough is a little way off but I should be able to make a West Kent meet soon.

It was fun to drive Colin, and certainly had a few oddities that took getting used to.

Thanks Pete I'll look and see what I can make it to.

I'm looking at purchasing Spitfire 1500, is that a good idea for a beginner to Triumphs? The Mk3 GT6 is stunning but probably a little out of my budget at the moment...

But to be fair, the 1500 engine is fine as long as you respect its limitations.....

They will happily cruise at 75mph all day if equipped with an overdrive, and the torque curve makes they quite relaxing to drive.

If you want a car to trash about, and explore the red line on the rev counter, expect to be be doing regular engine re-builds. I had 3 or 4 cranks go on my 1500 (in a toledo) mainly done on track days (goodwood the first, and the Prodrive track the last) but a rev limiter could well have saved them, or indeed a sympathetic driver!

So a 1300 better for that sort of shenanigans, but for a car to use like most are, a 1500 for me.

Don't forget the road tax issue, free road tax is a bonus we all like. 

However, I would advise to go see a few different versions, see what you like, and then find the best one you can within budget...

• Like 1

Thank you both, that certainly gives me more of a grounding in what I'm looking at and is a good point to start from.

I think you're right Clive and I'm planning to get myself along to some events to get an idea of what would suit me most - and yes where that fits with my budget!

Once again thanks for all the info, I appreciate the warm welcome you've all given me to the club!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...