engine running lumpy

bengaku

Hi so got my wee Herald started took it out for a test drive and as my father would have put it .jeeze couldnt pull the skin off a rice pudding. No i have replaced old distributor with a new powerspark have new spark plugs new htc silcon leads .Car starts in the button but revs very lumpy got one of those mobile mechanics he seems to think it is a misfire caused by a bad ignition coil or lose of compression. Question is having changed over the distributor and the previous owner saying carb had been refurb is there another reason why car starts but wont rev and seems to misfire.Any help grateful accepted. Thanks for looking Paul.ps its a 1360 with a zenith stromberg 150 cd carburetor

Check timing is set ok, worth swapping for a known-good coil and distributed cap

Check the diaphragm of the Stromberg for any splits (I rarely trust much a PO says!) , ensure the dashpots have oil in them and check the piston can be raised easily by hand and drops nicely.

..... Andy

Thanks for replies not sure how car run before parts changed over as car has been sorn since 1994 i got it from a guy who had it in his garage for 7 years so i changed over distribution system for new powerspark also changed airfiler oil filter new oil etc before even starting the car buti didnt do anything to carburetor as the guy had said it was efurbished by him of courde not sure when that was so is it possible it might be sticking cause it hasn't been used

Might be worth check the float needle is opening and check the pump is not full of debris,

use a bike pump to blow the pipe out , back to the tank

old fuel goes stale, what was in the tank , it may be past its best.

remove air filter , make sure the gaskets and filters are not obstucting the ports in the carb front face

these often get fitted upside down,

check firing order 1342 anticlockwise on the dizzy cap

Update new gaskets on carb fires up and runs nice of course now because car is running properly have noticed a small blow/leak in back box so was thinking i can go and get a back box for about £50 or spend £180 plus VAT and get a all new stainless steel exhaust what you guys think bear in mind i only paid £500 for the car and so far have probably spend about another £400 with brakes calipers discs etc.thanks for looking

Club stainless systems have a lifetime warranty if thats any value to you

many like stainless as they dont degrade through the limited use many cars get and steel soon rot out

you then may decide you want some va va roo and go for a semi sports to liven the drive up a little

its a down to preference and changing down under a bridge and open the taps takes you back to teenage mode

pete

Update took car out yesterday for a test run havent sorted out the small blow in back box but just wanted to make sure car was running ok.Now i have changed over the distributor for a powerspark got the timming sorted have new silicone leads new battery refurb the carb with new seals and yet i still struggle to get the car past 20mph .cant understand what can be wrong when i lift the piston on carb the car revs slighty higher then settles back down so according to the experts that is correct air fuel mixture .so any ideas why car still has no power thanks for looking