Oil Pressure Switch Quick Question

AidanT

Hi all

I think my oil pressure switch has gone again after only two years but want to double check before I buy a new one.

So Light does not come on when ignition switch is turned, only the Ignition light

when I Earth the ignition switch connection then the oil light does come on

I just wanted to confirm that the switch works by being on with no pressure and off with pressure

Thanks

Aidan

A klaxon would be good, for the hard of hearing. I used to have one, but one day it didn't work, I looked under the bonnet and some tea leaf had sawn it off it's mountings! :ph34r:

Ah! The postman knocks with my new coil. :)

Damn! Its raining. :( 

your e lucky just had to replace the viscous fan coupling ,getting some strange noises, , the running bearing is stuffed , quiet but has a lot of wobble

and while Aiden's on ,   a look in the dizzy has the dreaded brush wear arching to the rotor so that explains some similar hic ups she was producing 

it no good advising guys and having a duff one yourself.. GGrrr!!!

but new cap from dizzy doc was 4pot , not really useful,   but a new brush and a new rotor and shes back to good .and no erratic rattling from up front ., there;s loads of space to bolt the rad in place and good old Triumpf used holes you need fingers of a nubile to start the bolts , raise them 2"

and its easy ....must be some numpty with no production timeskills, like make it easy 

Pete  ( need some dinosaurus fodder)

I#m sure that the OE rotor arms really do not have enough length in the sprung arm. When you bend the arm so its 9mm away from the top of the cap as its supposed to be I'm sure the central conector on the dizzy cap is not fully covered.

Interesting to hear I'm not the only one!  but fingers crossed its now running well (apart from everything else!) HaHa

Aidan

its a lucas 45D6  lucas have a sprung brush in the cap , no bendy top sprung rotor  , so its inherently better than the delco design

ive got two spare long ( older design)  brushes but they dont cut well , and to sand a 12mm off would get me to sleep ,

pete

So Light does not come on when ignition switch is turned, only the Ignition light

This is the bit I was querying - Aidan says the light doesn't come on when ignition turned - and it should?

On with no pressure and off with 6-8 psi is fine, but it's the ignition switch bit of the query that got me thinking.

Hi Colin

What I mean by this is the initial key turn, the first position before the second in which the starter engages

At this point both the ignition and oil pressure lights usually come on

Aidan