I'm with Aidan, my (late GT6 mk3)  fuel line goes between rocker cover and thermostat housing. It's also one piece of R9 from fuel pump to carb pipes. As recommended by Uncle Pete to cut down the dread rubber slivers.

Doug

3 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

It's also one piece of R9 from fuel pump to carb pipes. As recommended by Uncle Pete to cut down the dread rubber slivers.

I'm not quite sure how it helps on that, since the original fitment is a one-piece steel pipe from the fuel pump olive, round the front, through that P-clip on the water pump housing, up to the short coupling hose on the carb T-pipe. So only one (very short) bit of rubber hose anyway.

1 hour ago, NonMember said:

the original fitment is a one-piece steel pipe from the fuel pump olive, round the front, through that P-clip on the water pump housing, up to the short coupling hose on the carb T-pipe

Not on mine. Original set up was a short pipe out the pump, length of rubber to the pipe across the front of the engine, another piece of rubber, a further pipe and a short piece of rubber to the carb T piece. The logic appears to have been a short rubber section at each sharp turn. So three pieces of rubber, six joints and lots of nasty slivers. Been like that since 1978 when I bought the car and only recently changed a couple of years ago. So that's the reason why, one piece of rubber and two joints.

Doug

3 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Not on mine. Original set up was a short pipe out the pump, length of rubber to the pipe across the front of the engine, another piece of rubber, a further pipe and a short piece of rubber to the carb T piece. The logic appears to have been a short rubber section at each sharp turn.

I rather suspect that was not how it left the factory and you had inherited a POB

10 hours ago, Badwolf said:

I notice you have gone back to door cappings. Any particular reason?

No not really, there was a bit of rubbing to the paint (where the door meets the seal each end) and it is original GT6  

10 hours ago, AidanT said:

An interesting route for the fuel line, I guess it must be different for the mk3. My mk1 goes over the top in front of the rocker cover 

Aidan 

My last Mk3 (later) GT6 had the same route as my current one, it is one metal fuel pipe from the pump to the filter (so very secure with the P clip right there)

I had a Herald years ago with rubber pipe from the pump over the top and was not only told it could be dangerous (by a Triumph "expert" at the time) but I suffered from a lot of fuel vaporisation (it would just cut out, just driving along) until I got a metal pipe and re-routed it similar to this one 

11 hours ago, NonMember said:

I rather suspect that was not how it left the factory and you had inherited a POB

I don't think so, I bought the car in 1978, one totally neglectful PO, never had it serviced and wouldn't know one end of a screwdriver from the other. I'm sure this was a factory job, end of the run, using whatever came to hand. There are other things, fuses in the wrong order, not to the diagram. Rear hatch has the "wrong" seal, it's a door seal, "L" section, but the "right" seal, "I" section, can't possibly fit with the hatch alignment as it is. Actually I prefer my hatch, flush to the body, all the modern  "I" section seals make the hatch stick out like a mushroom.

Mat, I'm not a great believer in fuel vaporization, other than on racing cars, I've not encountered it on ordinary Triumph road cars in 45 years. I suspect rubber back then was not what R9 rubber (and better)  is now and yes, probably leaky and dangerous. Anyway my expert Mr "L"  approves.

Doug

4 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Mat, I'm not a great believer in fuel vaporization, other than on racing cars, I've not encountered it on ordinary Triumph road cars in 45 years. I suspect rubber back then was not what R9 rubber (and better)  is now and yes, probably leaky and dangerous. Anyway my expert Mr "L"  approves.

Doug

This was about 25 years ago, and 4 star petrol & no doubt old rubber pipe,  all I Know is it would cut out with that pipe there, but never done it again once I re positioned it with metal, for whatever reason.

Mat