Vitesse MK2 not starting. Fuel issue, help needed

attwood65

Installed professionally refurbished carbs and distributor.

Ran fine for 6 month then stopped working.  Stored for 18 months.

Now trying to start.

Electrical system checked and spark at plugs

Flushed out old fuel

Connected fuel pipe to new can of petrol

Fuel pump works, fuel coming out of pipes going into carbs when I turn engine over

Plugs NOT wet with fuel

Do I have a carb problem.  Any ideas, driving me nuts trying to get started

Thanks

I think you have answered your own question by a process of elimination.

Healthy spark at plugs - excellent

fuel pumped in to carbs via pump - excellent

no wet plugs - problem

The issue must be within the carbs and I think the problem is debris causing it to stop initially. Then being left for 18x months has allowed the delivery process within the carbs to gum up with the usual results.

Paul is correct, you need to do a complete carb strip down thoroughly clean and you should be home.

One other point: do you run a fuel filter - if not you should.

Regards.

Richard.

just stripped some longer standing150s and the needles were seriously jammed in the jets with nasty corrosion never seen that before in all the years of carbs

carb cleaner quite useless , had to use a plumbers sulphuric acid to get the goo out of the jet holders and float zone 

so old gum does exist

pete

• Like 1

I had a maifold gasket fail and the engine was sucking in air through the gasket rather than fuel from the carbs. It wouldn't fire at all however, easy start worked, briefly. Yes, what Dave says, lift the piston, open the butterfly and squirt it in.

Could be a timing problem, Andy Cooke had his timing chain slip around it's gear :o. What were the circumstances of it stopping working?

I was not with the car when it stopped, my parents were running it.  One said it just stopped the other said there was a bang!

Piston lifts but does not go all the way down (stops about 5mm short).  Same on both carbs.

Going to strip down carbs and remove manifold/replace gasket.

Will also look at the timing 

You can test the vacuum by puting your hand near the carb air intake while turning the engine over, you should feel the vacuum. You will need long arms or an assistant to do this! I did hear of a guy attaching a post-it note to the carb body and when he turned the engine over the carb grabbed hold of the post-it.

• Like 1

some repro diaphragms are very stiff thick nasty rubbery things , should be quite flimsy and very flexible

if they are orig, and swell when taken out a wash with petrol will revert them to size

as for the smiths valve you can dummy a get you home from a poly bag to trial it starting

depending what the original bang was maybe a compression test is worth considering 

Pete