Vitesse MK2 rear seat belts

Robin

I had an inertia reel belt made for my Vitesse Saloon rear seats by a company called Quickfitsbs in a colour to match the original blue front lap belts. They were very nicely made but didn't work properly as due to the belt reel being mounted on the parcel shelf the mechanism would snag as its supposed to as the belt ran over the top of the seat. I removed it today and am now going to order their harness variety as they can be adjusted as my 6 and 9 year olds grow. Their products are very smart though and the ability to choose webbing colour can lessen the visual impact. I imagine it may be the same in a convertible and at least each user can simply adjust to ensure a snug fit.

The convertible is much more difficult to sort out compared to the saloon as the hood well gets in the way and destroys access to many of the strong points to mount the belts.

I seem to recall that the Club Shop was looking at various solutions for the Herald and Vitesse convertibles, so its probably worth calling Garth at the Club HQ (01858 434424) and asking his advice - you never know, he may have an off the shelf solution.

Robin,

I did spend some time looking into this problem, and it is a major problem in the Vitesse and Herald convertibles. If you mount the reel on the top of the diff (suitable strong mounting point in the boot)  then in an accident there is no strength in the framework that the rear seat back is attached to, and the leverage and momentum of a person using the belt would flatten the seat frame which would then render the belts useless. The only way we could do it, is to put in a low level roll bar that follows the top of the seat ( to allow the hood bag and hood frame to fit as normal) and provides a strong mounting point for the reels. As there are safety implications the only way we could do this and sell them was to have a proper roll/safety cage company make them. The costs were coming out in excess of £250 not including fitting. Consequently the idea has been shelved.

There is one member in N.I. who has made his own version of this solution and I am afraid his name escapes me. I am sure the engineering was well done but for liability reasons we could not offer his plans through the shop. So you are unfortunately on your own unless enough people want the safety cages solution that the cost comes down.

Hi Garth,

how many people are needed to bring the cost down?  It's something I've looked at in the past and I even bought some lap belts before deciding they weren't really what I wanted.  I would be interested in a properly engineered solution.

Robin

I have static lap belts in my Mk2 Convertible - I will take some photos to show how I did it

2 holes (1 each side of transmission tunnel and 1 each side in the side corners through into the wheelarch

Each hole is "reinforced" with a strengthening plate - easily obtainable online - and simply bolted through

Seems to do the trick

Mick

Robin

I have static lap belts in my Mk2 Convertible - I will take some photos to show how I did it

2 holes (1 each side of transmission tunnel and 1 each side in the side corners through into the wheelarch

Each hole is "reinforced" with a strengthening plate - easily obtainable online - and simply bolted through

Seems to do the trick

Mick

Hi Mick 

Some photos would be really helpful

Many thanks

Robin

Robin

Struggling to upload photos into this message

But check out Gallery in the Header Section of the forum above and you will find an album there

Will need to remove a wheel to show exact location of the corner fixings which actually go through

the panel above the lower rear wishbone rather than the wheelarch as I mentioned earlier - I will post

an additional photo in a day or two

Main point to remember is to use strengthening plates at all 4 points to avoid the bolt pulling though the panels

Mick

Robin

Struggling to upload photos into this message

But check out Gallery in the Header Section of the forum above and you will find an album there

Will need to remove a wheel to show exact location of the corner fixings which actually go through

the panel above the lower rear wishbone rather than the wheelarch as I mentioned earlier - I will post

an additional photo in a day or two

Main point to remember is to use strengthening plates at all 4 points to avoid the bolt pulling though the panels

Mick

Hi Mick

Thanks for the photos 

Robin

No problems Robin - have now added a couple more photos to the album showing fixing with wheel removed

Seem to recall that its a bit fiddly with the tunnel fixings - there's not a lot of room around the propshaft but I did

manage it without removing the propshaft - just be a bit careful that the bolts don't foul it

Best of luck

Mick