GT6 fed up with the noise

lincolnsix

My Mk 3 Rotoflex has standard suspension with rubber bushes and I have spent so long trying to find what the cause of the constant clatter/noise I get from the general area of the rear of the car.  The best I can describe it sounds like the plywood boards in the luggage area rattling about,  but I have driven without them and it sounds the same.

I have checked all the following :          All rubber bushes using a pry bar.   The body to chassis bolts.  Diff bolts.  All suspension bolts.  Exhaust mountings.    Tailgate latch.  Fuel tank bolts.   Rear spring for broken leaves.    The spare is bolted down tight.

The rear trunnions are definetly not siezed.    On smooth roads it's fine except where the road had sections across------ every section equals one clonk.     When I use the ramp from the road onto my drive there is a groaning if I don't get it square on.

Any ideas appreciated.                 Thanks John.

I have a GT6 mk3 swing spring. I had the same clattering noise as you.  I tried everything you did.  I swapped the tailgate sealing rubber out, as that was part of the cause. I found one of the radius arm bushes (the chassis end), was shot and could move along its bolt side to side.  I swapped all the radius bushes for new poly ones. This made a big difference, BUT there is still a bit of clattering , and it may be the tailgate lock. It does sound like boards in the luggage area, but it wasn't that or the spare, or tools. 

The radius bushes looked fine but a bit of hefty prying about moved one from side to side.

Dave

====

Just an idea my rotoflex Vitesse banged & clattered on minor roads and groaned with people in the back seat when cornering - Turned out the rear outriggers were not bolted to the boot floor . The bolts in my vitesse being at the end of the outrigger by the tail lights . With the bolts in place no issues 

Worth a look 

Paul 

I have a new exhaust which sounds lovely, however it has started to clatter at the back. I'm fairly confident (?) the mountings are OK, but I suspect the exhaust is not quit in the right position and too close to one side of the chassis. Back to Prince Brothers to check it out.