stop that seized clutch !

trigolf

I usually put the Vitesse away at this time of year for about three months to stop the dreaded salt worm attacking it. Over the years on several occasions I have found that the clutch plate has seized on to the flywheel at the initial start up after the layup.There then follows all the various attempts to free it off ! Although lots of people recommend 'pegging' the clutch pedal down to avoid this, I'm not very keen on leaving it permanently pegged, as I ended up with a snapped clutch pedal return spring - which failed during a trip, making changing gear 'interesting' !

So instead I go out to the garage once every couple of weeks and peg the clutch with a bit of suitable 2 x 4 wood, select second gear, handbrake off, but chock the wheels, front and back. Then using a suitable socket + extension bar on the crankshaft pulley bolt rotate the engine for a few full revolutions. If the clutch has stuck to the flywheel you will know, as the car will try to move - watch those feet ! I find it normally frees off with a little 'pop' if it hasn't been left for too long. Assuming the car does'nt try to move when you rotate the crankshaft, you can be confident that all is well with the clutch and will not require various methods - some more brutal than others - to free it off !

It's happened to my car 3 times, twice I've had to take the bell housing off to free it. 3rd time it was in the garage for a re-spray, they towed it and slammed it into gear to free it. I don't like to think about it. :(  I like TriGolfs idea, but why not take the spring off, then wedge it for the duration? 

I fire her up quite frequently and never had a problem

Just engage and a light slip keeps it from rusting on. 

damp  makes  sticking more likely

On new trucks we had a additive on the disc and a lacquer on the flywheel to reduce this as trucks can be in static storeage for long periods

but you cant add it once assembled .

Pete