Three types of prop shaft

Andrew

Hi all according to the WSM there are three types of prob shaft fitted to Heralds. 1) strap type 2) sliding joint type 3) solid type. Can someone explain why there were three types and how each one compensates for movement between the gearbox and diff.  The sliding joint type I understand and obviously the joint needs greasing.  But what maintenance does the other two need.

regrads

Andrew

All down to what the factory wanted to try I suspect. The strap drive type are horrendous, and despite appearing OK can cause terrible vibrations. (a bodge is to remove the straps and bolt it together making it solid. I have done this twice, both times it transformed the car despite being theoretically wrong)

The cars worked fine with solid props. There is no relative movement between gearbox and diff, unlike a live axle car, so solid works. I still prefer a sliding joint, which all the other cars came with....

All you can do to the props is grease the UJ's (if they have a nipple or blanking plug) and grease the sliding joint if fitted.

Hi Paul and Aidon

the ones the club shop sell and other suppliers are not long enough, you can start the nipple in the UJ but then the nut part of the nipple fouls in the UJ And you cannot screw it in any further. And you cannot get a grease gun head on the nipple.  What is needed is a nipple about three inches long so. A) the nipple will screw in fully and B ) ther is no fouling from the grease gun nozzle.  Cannot think why no one has not had this problem before and a solution found.  As I said I am going to cut the top of one nipple and the bottom off enougher and solder a piece of small diameter tubing in between.

regards

Andrew