What’s this component?

Kevin.payne.15

Guys

thanks for all the previous help on wiring loom replacement. I’ve made some progress and have replace the ends and am now working on the middle and have come up with a component that I don’t have wires in the loom to connect so I’m beginning to panic that I’ve got the wrong loom! 

On the bulkhead next to the battery I have 3 components, the round is the hazard flasher , the one nearest the drivers side is the horn relay, my problem is the one in the middle -see attached image. 

It has 6 wires attaching to it. The top connector has 3 wires , one to the electric fuel pump, one to the inside of the car ( not sure on this one as I haven’t taken the dash out yet) and the last one is a white. The middle horizontal has a thick brown which I presume is the power circuit, the lower ones are white purple and lastly white green

thanks in advance

kevin

5647B111-E186-4BEB-81D9-6D5B0240D92F.jpeg

Canm't see a round item, only the large black item - horn?  Brake servo?

Of the two relays on the bulkhead, both look like  Lucas 6RA relay, 33231E, with five terminals, on the right, or anther on the left, 

On any of them, only one pair will have continuity, thats the coil pair, W1 and W2, while the others will be the supply (C2) and the one or two outputs (C1.

If you can't read any labelling, a multimeter will show you the first pair - if it's still intact.

See the pic.

What it's supposed to run, I can't say.    Two outputs - headlights?    Which car?  Your pic too close up to tell.

JOhn

Lucas 6RA relays.JPG

John,

Kevin has a GT6, I know this from previous threads (As you point out it would be nice to be given a clue at the beginning of a new thread). That looks like the back end of the servo on the left. The relay on the left only has 4 connections, if it's the horn relay the wires should be purple. The relay on  the right has 5 connections. White/purple would be door/boot switches, interior and ignition curtesy lamp.  White/green would be left/right turning indicators. What these are doing on a relay I'm not clear.

Doug

Pete.thanks  I’m presuming I have the d type if I have this relay fitted. Any chance of a wiring diagram in your archives that I could have a copy of? 

What I don’t understand is why the loom didn’t come with the necessary wires  - strange and concerning   There wasn’t even the option on the autosparks site 

Thanks

kevin

It "didn't come with the necessary wires", because no original Triumph, except the Pi ones, had an electric fuel pump.   Only an enterprising (and probably self bankrupting) loom maker could make bespoke looms.   You will have to adapt.

Some DPOs will wisely put an impact switch in the electric fulel pump system.   That is often in the direct pump supply, but could be set to cut the current to a relay that switched the fuel pump supply off in case of an accident.   You won't find an impact switch wiring in the loom for a GT6 either.

JOhn

Guys

I’m not so concerned by the fuel pump wire as I realise this is a recent addition and was connected here because it was convenient

What i am concerned as to what the unit was meant to be doing in the first place.  Once I know this then hopefully I can make new wring to suit

so does anyone else have this relay and what’s it for - it’s the one nearest the battery that’s the concern

thanks

kevin

Dave et al. I’ve dug out my very ancient spit 4 book and there it is in the colours I have. Obviously different to a GT6 book. Only problem is it doesn’t show where it connects in. Just says a and b  ... but a and b don’t exist on the actual diagram. Normal level of helpfulness then 

i think I can make up to suit but thanks for the help

kevin