Spitfire Mk3 Seat Covers

redhill man

My Mk3 Spitfire needs new seat covers. Rimmer Bros are quoting £273 incl postage, yet for similar from Classic British Sports Car Trims Plymouth £168 incl postage. That's over £100 difference. Has anyone bought them, and what was the quality please. Also how easy are they to fit?

dont know about them but seat covers are easy to fit , do you need new foams ??  they can be silly money

where are you located ??  

on refitting some old net curtain or poly bags are useful to cover the foams and allows the cover to slide over easily

dont use hog rings nasty things , use cable ties   they work well and are easy to remove if a bit of cover tuning is needed 

Pete

IMG_0119.thumb.JPG.f3e4a721bc6481204f48c737e220005c.JPGI bought Newton Commercial ones through the club. They are well made and fitted well. I replaced the foams as well, the old ones were well shot.

Whist off you want to check  the seat back hasn't broken off the base. Both mine had and a second hand seat I bought was cracked.

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 3:30 PM, Pete Lewis said:

dont know about them but seat covers are easy to fit , do you need new foams ??  they can be silly money

where are you located ??  

on refitting some old net curtain or poly bags are useful to cover the foams and allows the cover to slide over easily

dont use hog rings nasty things , use cable ties   they work well and are easy to remove if a bit of cover tuning is needed 

Pete

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 3:30 PM, Pete Lewis said:

where are you located ??  

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the info re Hog Rings.

Not sure what the foams are like yet. I live in Kent, not far from the M25 Dartford Tunnel

Roy

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 4:08 PM, PeterH said:

IMG_0119.thumb.JPG.f3e4a721bc6481204f48c737e220005c.JPGI bought Newton Commercial ones through the club. They are well made and fitted well. I replaced the foams as well, the old ones were well shot.

Whist off you want to check  the seat back hasn't broken off the base. Both mine had and a second hand seat I bought was cracked.

Thanks Peter,

I feel you often get what you pay for, although the difference in prices are  huge!

The covers bought thro the club look excellent.

Roy

16 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Gully,

ditto foams, although the cards, for mine, don't have the chrome plastic strip on the top or the correct coloured carpet material on the lower half.

Doug 

I discussed that strip with Owen and emailed him some photos as he was interested in establishing if he could source a reproduction moulding / extrusion. I removed the strips from my original door cards (they were stapled on) and taped them to the Park Lane replacements.

The interior on mine is black, so no problems finding trim, unlike your Chestnut challenge!

Gully

• Haha 1

Gully,

both of my plastic strips are broken in the middle, over zealous card removal technique unfortunately. But I think Woolies may have something that would do.

https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/product/1925/chrome-edge

Might be too big, I'll have to get a bit and see.

And I've found a vinyl repair kit on ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-DIY-Leather-Vinyl-Repair-kit-for-tears-rips-holes-burns-with-MANUAL-no-heat/201738483419?epid=8005615281&hash=item2ef88cf6db:g:ujkAAOSw5cNYRCb6 

Is that brown pot at the front chestnut?!! I think it is!

Doug

• Thanks 1