Vitesse wont start after layup

Paul H

Hi all - I really hoped I could sort this myself but appears not .

My Vitesse Mk 2 wont start after a layup of 4 months .

The work ive done that could affect the issue . Dynamator (Alternator) replaced the original Dynamo - When I refitted I put the ignition (white ) cable on the negative side of the coil and according to Accuspark this has blown the electronic ignition - replacement Ignition on the way .

Whilst waiting for replacement bits I have removed the Delco D6 ( accuspark ) dizzy and replaced with original Lucas 22 with traditional new points set at 15 thou and firing order 153624. ( The Ht leads on the dizzy cap go anti clockwise ie 1, 5, 3, 6, 2, 4. )

By connecting a bulb from the negative side of the coil & earth and turning over with the key the bulb goes on and off . I have a spark on each of the plugs ( checked with  the red plastic extensions which shows the spark) The NGK plugs have been cleaned and gapped at 25 thou and havent been changed and appear  in good condition ( about 1,000 miles) 

I have fuel and by removing the pipe next to to the twin Stroms petrol is pumping out at a healthy rate - removing the top 4 nuts on each of the carbs everything is wet with petrol . The pistons are not jammed and raise manually under a degree of pressure and fall naturally. 

I have replaced the original bendix with a high torque starter from the club and the difference and improvement is very noticeable .

Initial timing was using the bulb system waiting for the bulb to light up at cylinder 1 ( front of engine ) . Then I advanced ( moving dizzy anti clockwise ) the dizzy a touch and tightened up .

I did try adding  a squirt of carb start into the stroms to no effect - left the engine to "dry out " with no effect . 

The only response from the engine is an occasional  "fart " accompanied by a  haze from the Stroms ( the filters are off ) 

Again any help appreciated 

Paul 

whip the rocker cover off and check when no1 tdc   has the rotor pointing at no1 HT lead 

both rockers 1 and 2 should have a gap , if not you have the firing order correct but no in the right place 

other way remove plugs stick thumb over no1  plug hole turn slowly till air is expelled , turn on to tdc ..check the rotor is under no1 ht lead

Pete

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

whip the rocker cover off and check when no1 tdc   has the rotor pointing at no1 HT lead 

both rockers 1 and 2 should have a gap , if not you have the firing order correct but no in the right place 

other way remove plugs stick thumb over no1  plug hole turn slowly till air is expelled , turn on to tdc ..check the rotor is under no1 ht lead

Pete

Thanks Pete. Will check

Paul

Hi Pete & Rob - Yes you were correct the dizzy was 180 degrees out 

Yesterday I didnt have time to play so checked some old photos of the engine bay in my Vitesse and the HT cable layout showed a different (correct ) layout . This morning removed plug No1 , removed dizzy cap and rotated the engine fan until No 1 was in upstroke - With a torch I was able to see the piston top so I was able to adjust to 10 before TDC . I then moved Dizzy 180 degrees so the points were open . Then moved the HT leads to the correct order 153624 going counter clockwise . Tightened  the Dizzy and she fired 1st go - Many many thanks 

Now going to finalise timing with a strobe 

Best regards 

Paul 

Its good when a plan has a cheap fix   Ha !!

its always good to stand back have a cuppa  and think now where did i go wrong   or  what was the last thing i touched  

pleased its solved 

classics sit out there in the garage and listen to you, whilst they decide how to win  !!!!

Pete