Technical question

PeaTear

Does anyone know what the brown doodahs on the bottom of the carb pistons are for. On mine the rear one is quite shorter than the front, so the front has a gap between the carb body and the piston and the rear doesn't.  Is this gap crucial or should it be closed?  Thanks in advance

20180529_203237.jpg

20180529_203432.jpg

They should be straight for a start. :D

there is a screw on the side of the cast part which allows the needles to be removed. Once that is done there is a letter/number reference on the upper barrel of the needle which should be the same for both.  

You may be able to straighten the one. If not get a new pair so the wear if any is the same. 

When fitting make sure they are fitted with the Collar flush to the barrel

Haha. Sorry didn't mean the needles although I now see the wonky one. 

Easier to see in the first pic, bottom left hand near the edge of the piston, there is a little thingy sticking out, that's what I'm talking about

With HS2 and trying to judge the standoff those stops would give you from the pictures; I suspect the larger stop is incorrect - but it's difficult to judge from pictures.

The stop is not very tall. If the piston is held off too far it will upset adjustment.

David

The piston stop is there to ensure the throat is not closed completely or you would never start the car

It must have air flow over the bridge and this drags the fuel from the jet, so the stop maintans a small gap to allow air flow for when you

Crank it up, once its fired the piston rises to its idle posistion

Pete

Thanks guys. The gap on the front carb is about 1mm and I can't remember if there is any gap on the rear. To me the front does look very high and I can't find any reference to correct gap height on my searches.

I'll load a picture later showing the difference hoping those that are more knowledgeable than me could let me know what is correct

you need to ask Burlen fuel systems about these little stops , some are just a push in plastic plug some are part of the piston 

there is no reference to them in any manuals or spares lists

for sure both should be the same ,

and all needle holders must be level with the base of the piston.

Pete