Piston Gudgeon Pin Removal

SpitfireGeorge

Hi Guys,

Can anybody recommend a decent piston gudgeon pin removal tool. I have taken my Spitfire Mk3 engine apart to rebuild and found that some of the land between the first and second ring on one piston has broken off and I now need a new set of pistons! I don't want to pay loads of money for one though as I will probably never use it again.

Cheers,

Brett

I've never done any work on pistons Brett but previous experiences with alloy usually involved dunking it in really hot water for a few minutes, it expands a lot quicker than steel making the pin a loose fit.  Could be worth a try...

Are they interference fit or circlip type? When I swapped con-rods on my Vitesse the gudgeon pins were circlip type and just pushed out with a soft dowel (once the circlips were removed, obviously). Interference ones should respond to Derek's "very hot water" trick.

• 3 weeks later...

I would not disagree, and likely far more convenient for a Triumph. I have chilled the likes of wheel bearings before to-day to make fitting into cast housings easier, If it isn't already vac; packed, pack it into a Freezer bag, suck the air out with a straw, quite often they fall into place.

It worked very well in marine practice, especially when the gudgeon pin is in excess of 100mm dia, and the piston is 450mm dia and weighs in in excess of 250kg.! And you are working in 40degC.!

Pete