crank endfloat

Gadgetman

I'm overhauling my engine at the moment and with new Std thrust washers the crank end float is 8 thou (0.102 - 0.203 mm) the spec in the text of the manual says in the text 4 - 8 thou (0.102 - 0.203 mm) but in the dimension and tolerances table it says 4-6 thou (0.1 - 0.15mm)

Which max figure is correct?????

next dilemma.... 

The oversize thrust washers come in + 0.005" so that would give me an end float of 0.003" which 1 thou under the minimum spec.

Do people lap the back (non white metal surface) of thrust washers to get the required minimum clearances????????

Given that the thrust washers are only available in 5 thou oversizes, the 4-8 figure is the only one you can work to. If you exceed 8 (i.e. get to 9) then an oversize thrust puts you back at 4. Simples ?

Actually, I suspect it wouldn't take long for one thou of wear if you put the oversize in to get 3 thou initial end float.

I echo that 

My 2000 had one wrong way round  dont ask about the state of the crank,   the 0.018"  looked like 1/4"  visual  

Just bedded a oversize replacememt and monitoring where the wear takes it ...so far so good.

Nothing wrong with a scroll    it  cant wear out  .

Pete

I wouldn't lap the back, too much trouble which could do more harm than good. I would go with 3 thou, as Rob says they wear quick enough. I joined the 1/4" end float club when I bought my car, long before Pete, I have the vintage T shirt. :lol:

db