A Tale of Two Crankshafts

Brit car fan

1980 Spitfire 1500.

Hello all, I recently bought a crankshaft supposedly for my spare engine only to find that it differs from a standard Spitfire 1500 engine in that the front end has a taper where the pulley locates, also a Gib key type key (straight) keyway as opposed to the woodruff (curved) keyway on the shaft end. My task now is to re-sell it on eBay but do not know what vehicle / engine it is for. In all other respects it is the same as a normal Spitfire 1500 crankshaft.

ivuzvm.jpg

11ayag7.jpg

2r27upi.jpg

Does anyone recognise it / know what car it goes on?

Also the other (existing) crankshaft shown is down to -60 thou on the big ends, and oval by a thou at that (hence the need for the replacement). Is it a scrapper? - would need metal spraying & grinding back to standard.

Thanks, Dave

Definitely 1500 FWD.  The starter ring gear is attached to the front pulley and they discovered with the 1300 FWD that a plain straight shaft and key would get destroyed after a while. The taper fit was to prevent this.

"Loads of 1500 cranks knocking about"  Indeed.  Knocking often the operative word though......

Nick

Metal spray can be very hard and not easy to grind to a good surface finish, from when I last tried 

Hopefully things have move on since the 1970

Did this many many  years back on a 1300fwd thrust washer failure sprayed the rear main it was never looking right , but with replacememt lugs on the caps to hold the thrusts this all lasted over ten years ....

Don't think 1500 cranks are yet rare/expensive enough to justify metal spraying (attempts) and associated costs and risks.  Plenty of 1500 cranks about, though you may have to accept them wrapped in the remains of a short block! (which may yield other useful parts)

Nick

Thanks Nick,

Looks like I'll just bite the bullet and weigh it in as I'm due to do another scrap run. Up until now I was just considering the cost side, was not even aware that success is not necessarily guaranteed. I've often wondered why regrinds are in steps of ten thou at a time given that worn cranks rarely show more than a thou and a half of ovality. If regrind steps could be at 5 thou most would clean up at that, and life of a crankshaft would be doubled. Cranks with plenty of regrind allowance and blocks with one rebore or less though atainable now are becoming rarer.

When you say a short block are you refering to just a short 1500 engine?

Thanks, Dave.