straight 6 engine for a spitfire

wayne Rollinson

so after stripping my spitfire down for rebuild I started looking into putting the straight 6 engine into it, looking at the work involved in the tub that looks like the easy bit for me so turning my attention to an engine, whats the pros and cons of them, are parts hard to get for a particular engine, would it be best going for a later engine? any help greatly received, also what should I be looking at price wise for a complete engine and gearbox with overdrive, Regards wayne

If you are looking for a S6 with performance then something from the Vitesse Mk2 / GT6 stable will suit.

As for parts, no problem and all obtainable.

O/D g/boxes do come-up often.

Pricewise, that is subjective and depends on condition plus seller's generosity !! 

Well trodden path, so plenty of info out there if you dig about.

What is your driving style and what do you want to achieve? 

I ran my vitesse with a 2.5 engine and saloon gearbox, but it really wanted a 3.27 diff. I broke too many, so changed to a 3.63.

Think carefully about the whole package. Start with brakes and suspension. And that will partly depend on whether you choose to fit the engine in the normal GT6 position (requiring a GT6 bonnet) or as you imply, use a spitfire front plate and shift the engine 6" back requiring body cutting etc but will fit under a spitfire bonnet. Then engine choice (mk2 type engine is easier to get the bits for and probably the better choice)plus get a GT6/vitesse gearbox. I very much doubt a saloon type box will fit if the engine is back.

In the scale of things, the engine/box will be £500 upwards. Add prop (£150-£200) front suspension/brakes, radiator and so on. The engine/box is soon matched by the other parts, and then the costs can keep going up.

Thanks for your help, I plan to sit the engine back and cut the tub, I will be doing the whole car from beginning, so had already planned to up rate the suspension,vented discs and poly bushes although radius arms and drop linkages I will set up as rose joints for ease of adjustment. The car will be used in the summer and to do the odd track day and le man trips and really just for fun.

sounds like the mk2 is the way to go then so thanks for your help, I will add my progress as I go thanks again, Wayne

Hmm, you may have the same issue as me. A car set up for trackdays will not be ideal for long trips. Gearing (ideally) is different, as is suspension.

But you will find a compromise...I have. Well, getting there. But you will have to decide if you want it to be more trackday or tourer.... sort of 60:40 compromise.

Look forward tio seeing it at a trackday! (can thoroughly recommend the TRR days, and indeed the MGOT ones)

Hi Wayne,

I've never done anything like this myself but as far as I am aware the GT6 had uprated suspension and brakes so it might be worth comparing the relevant parts lists between the two. From what I read you seem to know what you're doing and it will be interesting to know how the project turns out.

At a recent (about a year ago) classic car do at Highcliffe Castle I had left the Spitfire with the bonnet up, mainly to let it all cool but also to show it off as it is factory standard and looking pretty. An elderly gentleman had been looking at the car for some time so I asked if he had any questions. He replied that he didn't as he had been a design engineer at Triumph (!*!). In the course of the conversation it transpired that he (among other things) had worked on the uprated suspension for the GT6, and wait for it - worked with Giovanni Michelotti designing the Stag!! He spoke of it like it was an every day thing - but I was jaw dropped - and the really stupid thing? - I forgot to ask his name! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A bit left of field but I am running an MGB GT with a TRGB built Triumph 2.5 PI engine and gearbox fitted. Its running HS6 SU's with a TR6 6-branch Scorpion exhaust manifold connected to a custom build stainless system. It runs really well with the only issue being the increased heat generated compared to the old engine. Practical Classics' Sam Glover did the work as a project and he did a really good job of fitting the engine into a smaller space whilst retaining the original engine mounts and subframe configuration. So good luck but consider the engine cooling along the way,

BGT6 2.5 6 cylinder.jpg

• Like 1

Underbonnet heat is almost entirely due to radiation from the .... radiator!

With an ICE that is no more than 40% efficient, there's a lot of heat to dump, but most of the heat that gets into the exhaust manifold is vented to the atmosphere.    Little gets out into the underbonnet.

JOhn

wow great conversion, I collected my gearbox and overdrive at the weekend so I now can get the lump fitted up, my cooling side I have planned on going with an ally rad which will be plated off with an electric fan I have worked out my tub cuts and material is in so I will be cutting this week I can press up my panels to fit the cut outs so things will move along nicely