GE Engine Number Suffix Query

01/65789

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from collecting an engine that i want to check over and fit in my 13/60 and looked in to see if there was any info on codes.....so very handy this thread.

The engine I collected is GE80091HE...and has twin carbs, so I guess it came from a Spitfire. I've just been out to check the engine currently fitted, and it is GE593E.....not LE or HE....just E on the end.  Is that a normal code?  Just curious, thanks.

Samantha.

• 4 years later...

Some thread necromancy here… Just been looking at my 13/60’s engine number and wondering about the A at the end. GE—-HEA is clearly the original stamping on the block. But the A is missing on both my V5 and heritage certificate! The engine is the original, it’s a home market car supplied to a dealer in Chichester and I got the DVLA history before that became verboten, so know it’s not had a sneaky trip to Australia :D

I did find a possibility. A was used to differentiate the commission numbers of Speke built cars from Canley ones. 1969 was the year full 1300 Toledos were built at Speke, so maybe they also made a few Herald 1300 engines there? Fully speculative though.