GE Engine Number Suffix Query

01/65789

Hi All, 

I've just purchased a 13/60 engine for a winter rebuild project. The number is GE 68763 HEA. I've never seen an 'A' at the end of a GE sequence before; usually it's GE XXXXX then LE or HE to denote lower or higher compression. 

Has anyone else ever seen a 13/60 GE engine with an 'A' after the sequence? Does anyone know what it means? I can put a photo up if required.

Thanks,

Chris

Yes, sorry about that Chris. :wub:

Felt obliged to do a bit more searching and found Australian GE cars were prefixed KA and KB rather than GE. So a suffix to denote Oz seems unlikely, but not impossible.  It all seems a bit chaotic looking back, it's not the first anomaly/mistake I've heard off. There are a number of Australian sites documenting Triumphs.   it appears Triumph had problems down under with the climate, the carburation wasn't up to it. The poor roads didn't do the suspension any favours and also made Herald windows pop out!. 

Doug

Bern trained me to do valuations at SEM and then said "What about this then?" A cunning trick.

"A Vitesse Estate" I said.

I didn't know!  To make a Vitesse estate you have to have a Vitesse and a Herald estate, cut them in half and glue the bits together. Insurance valuation is about what it would cost to remake the car, so I got it wrong by about a half!

Doug

Thats assuming its a Triumph A and not added by  previous owner having a repairer add a letter for some identification  and now nobody 

Knows ,

I dont see any GE prefix ending in an A on any documents I have 

Another guess base engine taken from an  Amphicar ????  But why the GE

Or modified by Alexander, s        

Pete

We fitted a   BW 35 in a 2 ton Commer Walkthru  it would not go up the hill to Luton airport  engine flat out (well a 4.203 perky unit peaked at 2200)  and ground to halt with smoke billowing from the convertor,,  we condemned it , a later intro of the 65 proved more sucessfull

The battery electric was a real rocket this is 1968ish

Pete

On 9/10/2018 at 5:27 AM, dougbgt6 said:

Felt obliged to do a bit more searching and found Australian GE cars were prefixed KA and KB rather than GE. ...

Do you have a source you can site? The only references I've ever seen to the KA and KB series Heralds in Australia were to 1959 and 1960 models, respectively, then still with the 948cc engine.

• Like 1