Petrol starvation, or not petrol starvation that is the question

Chris A

I took the car for it's first proper run after sorting the mixture problem, went to a local(ish) car show. I took the pretty route which was the old main road now replaced by a dual carriageway and therefore no traffic. Car ran great so decided to get a bit heavy with the rigt foot ?? Geting above 130 kph was possible but took a bit of time ?. Oh! I shouldn't have said that should I. ?

There were a few Triumphs there - Mk4 Spitfire, TR3 (the French like these), Tr4A and a Triumph based special, I've no idea what it was based on as there was no info on the car nor owner close by.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

No, you should have used MPH. :)

You are right, the numbers in MPH are much larger on the dial than Kph.

"But Monsieur le gendarme, the readings only go to 100 so I couldn't possibly have been speeding" Not to be tried on a 'N' road where the limit is now 80.

I'm sure quite a few French who look at the dial assume the numbers DO relate to Kph!

In passing, the origin of the term Gendarme comes from Gens d'arme, for obvious reasons.

In passing a second time, American police cars are black & white because in the dim and distant past they tested some French police cars which at the time were . . . Noir et blanc.