Spark from accelerator linkage to chassis

Richard Lambert

Hi all again

I have just fitted a power spark ignition system to and while trying to start her I noticed a spark jumping from the accelerator linkage to the chassis its a strong spark like you would want from a spark plug and leaves the linkage very hot  the engine has not started when it sparks the engine stops turning

I connected the red lead to the + and black to - on the coil and white-ish lead to + 

Should there be a earthing  there earthing strap from engine to chassis

Any ideas 

Thanks

This sounds like you have an engine tomchassis/battery earth missing

When you crank it all the associated things like choke speedo and throttles act as the main earth 

There has to be a cable between engine and chassis somerines at the front engine mount but preferably off the clutch hsg bolts to the main battery terminal or the battery body earth

Pete

I forget the size but you can get them pre-made up (or you can for the spitfire!) 

other than that something like a 25mm2 welding cable would be suitable. Welding cable because it’s flexible and takes some decent current. You would have to fit a lug on the one end to the bell housing and a battery clamp to the other. 

Unless you have the right kit to make off the cables properly, I would suggest getting premade.