User mention function @

Roger

We use “kind of a forum” at work (Confluence, Atlassian) and I find the “user mention function” there quite useful. Copy and paste from Confluence support page:

"Mentions
Mentions (often known as @mentions) are a useful way of drawing someone's attention to a page or comment, or assigning a task to them. When you mention a user, they'll receive a notification by email and in their workbox; There are two ways to mention someone: using autocomplete, or via the Insert menu in the editor toolbar.

Use autocomplete
To mention someone using autocomplete, type '@' in the editor then start typing their name. Choose the person you want to mention from the list of suggestions"

27 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

I think I will stick to typo,s and inveeted pictures
PETE

Hi @Pete Lewis I think @Roger will do the same 🙂 But it could be a good way to get another members attention for a question in a thread if there is a notification sent out by e-mail. But I mention myself in this thread and I have not received any e-mails, so I don't see the point in using this function here on the forum. Unless my settings prevent me from getting the notifications! @admin please advice. Is e-mail notification something that can be activated?

I think I found something...

There are settings for this in “Account settings” => “Other settings” => “Notifications settings”. The first one was “On” and the second one “Off” in my settings, now both “On”. Now I just have to wait until someone mentions me, and see if I get an e-mail...

image.png.1206eb9d9da2b7ed71a8752a42abb1be.png

I assume there are some users who just create an account and log in here one single time, and never return. Then there are those who check the forum maybe a few times a year, and then we have frequent visitors active at least a few times a week. And then we have Pete... 😂

Seriously, this is a very useful function if it works! Especially for those who are not active on a weekly or daily basis. It could be worth checking your notification settings.

Testing new settings: @Roger

8 minutes ago, KevinR said:

@Roger I got an alert when I logged in earlier, hopefully you will get one back in response to this message.

Yep, it works! I also got an e-mail. Thanks. I recommend that those of you who wants an e-mail notification when you are "@mentioned" in a thread check/change your notification settings. /Roger.
image.png.1dee8f8cb74d9292ce2f2ae513fb0b8d.png