GT6 MK3 (1972) - Which Mintex Pads?

StevieB

I was reliably informed that a set of Mintex MBGB 535 -1144 pads would be a direct replacement. However, I have identified two problems

1) The holes for the pins are too small, though I was told these would need 'opening out'

2) The pads are physically the wrong size.

See this picture, which shows the Mintex MGB 535 - 1144 pads on the left, and my original pads on the right 

http://forum.tssc.org.uk/index.php?/gallery/image/108-mintex-mgb-535-pads-small/

The following information relating to my current pads may also be useful;

Triumph GT6 Mk3

VIN No. : KE123240

Hole Dia. For pins 6.5mm (approx..)

Pad dimensions 78 x 63mm

Can anyone tell me which pads I should have. Mintex suggested MGB 525 pads, but these look even less likely candidates. I have emailed the people who supplied (but did not recommend this type of pad) to see if they can help. If anyone hear can throw any light on this, it would be a useful cross-check.

Just as some background, I am changing pads for two reasons (they are old, and starting to wear (I suspect there may be an issue with one pad, as it squeals badly). The choice of Mintex was made on recommendation as this was an easy way to preserver 'originality', but improve braking performance.

Any help / advice would be appreciated.

Steve

And in hindsight, that was the obvious answer wasn't it. I didn't know the Club Shop sold them, because I just didn't look.

Looks like the GT6 has a Type 16 Metric Caliper, and I can see the pads are there too.

Thanks for the reply. I shall get some sorted, and get her back on the road.

the online shop is still all a bit new, there is a search box for shop parts and this thins down the looking , it is in an order but not a shopper's  order 

unfortunate, but needs a lot of time getting what seems simple into a logical flow of parts

there' s a  shop  file at the bottom of the forum which will allow you to print off .

Pete

Stevie,

Just to back up the recommendation you've been given, I changed my Vitesse from Green Stuff to Mintex 1144 a few months ago. Ordered from the club and delivered within 48 hours.  :)

Coupled with an adjustable push rod on the master cylinder to take up all the slack in the pedal assembly they've transformed the braking of my car. Expensive, but well worth it.  

Do the club do the adjustable pushrods?   off to have a peek,,,,,

Doug,

To be honest you're better off replacing the pedal pivot & bushings, standard push rod & pin to remove any play, but I took the lazy 'do for now' option. The down side of using the adjustable push rod is that the pedal height rises. I'll get round to doing the job properly when I have more time.  

pedal wear /excess free play problems can be easy to fix on some , more complex on others

some weld and re drill the clevis holes in the pedal and the mcyl fork. 

some drill both out to 10mm and fit a bigger clevis pin

make sure the stop lamp switch has a nut on to take the load of the returning pedal, dont rely on the switch if its plastic one you can 

just whack it apart as the pedal uses it as a stop.

too much free travel on the pushrod.. needs at least 0.5mm it must have 'some' or the reservior wont recuperate

you can reduce free travel and raise the pedal a little if you slot the support bracket to baulkhead bolts holes and slide the assy back/forth 

if you do this .do not  raise the pedal so all free play is lost . support the bolts with new washers.

just some idea's 

if you want to mix and match the master cyl design have a browse at car builders solutions or places like merlin motor sport for all varieties of cyls, pushrods & reserviors etc