Spitfire 1500 rear brake drums and shoes

Anglefire

Its tomstop the cables opening the shoes and this means the cyl has to open a bit before it starts to expand the shoes

So a little on the  slack side of neat , the hand brake is a a pretty crude afair, and as in a previous post the back plate can get very grooved where the lever pivots against the back plate  this can block leverages. As the pivot has to be ridden out of the groove to move the shoes or allow the cyl to slide in the back plate

I drilled and fitted a greaser to the compensator pivot pin, and get the angles of the lever correct is very important

Pics in the wsm .

Pete

• Like 1

Well, the sun was shining so went out this morning and had a look at the brakes.

Jacked and on stands and whipped off the wheels and took the drums off. All looking good (And shoes on the right way around!)

Fitted a grommet in the holes left after fitting the new Land Rover studs (I didn't have any at the time I swapped them) whilst at it.

Left the shoes as they look fine still and I'll just put the ones I have into stock.

I did change the drums and they do seem better - but still get a spot where it drags slightly more - but I don't think it is enough to worry about - arguably seems better than the old drums.

Disconnected the hand brake from the lever and did as said above and locked the drum (one click one way and its locked, one the other and its dragging a bit too much, another click and just a very light (I hope not too tight!) drag but no pressure required to urn the drum.

Adjusted the handbrake cables - middle looked to be ok - though to be fair I couldn't see it very well - but looked central.  And also adjusted the return springs to give a little more tension to pull the cable back and release the tension on the levers.

I haven't taken the car out for a test drive yet - but could do up the wheel nuts with just the handbrake on, so I think it has promise!

Looked the same as far as I can tell. These came from Rimmers. 

I might see if I can't mount one on my Dad's lathe when I get a few minutes. Not sure if he will have the right chuck - though its possible if it will hold the through the centre of the drum where the hub is mounted.