Ignition problems

coxy123

ha thats a funny reading! Have you tried the test I described to measure the voltage supply to the coil and end any doubts once and for all about whether your system is modified or not? With that coil resistance I would expect a result of around 9v to earth....

I take it the 0v + to - was without the ignition on? However the 12v and 0v on the coil terminals indicates that something is wrong as a ballasted system should normally only supply ~6v. The only time a ballasted system will supply 12v to the coil is when the starter motor is turning the engine over. So the possibilities are:

coil open-circuit (but its 3.5ohmn resistance says no),

ballast resistor has been removed or bypassed,

contacts on starter motor are permanently closed even when not starting which effectively bypasses the ballast.

The fact that you have found a non ballast system coil installed indicates to me that someone has fiddled with this before either as a bodge or intentionally.....

If you buy a ballast system coil with a resistance of ~1.5 ohms and supply it with 12v continuously it will produce higher sparkplug voltage which will possibly damage high tension components, burn the points excessively and also itself overheat so that I dont think it will run for very long.....

oh that changes everything cos it means your points were open (or a break somewhere) and there wasnt a circuit. Ok well to complete the test you can run a piece of wire from the coil -ve (very important its not the +ve side) to earth to simulate the points being closed and then measure the voltage on coil +ve to earth. Hopefully youll now see ~6v.....

Congratulations that would indicate that you do indeed have the wrong coil! When you get the correct 1.5ohm one installed the same test should give you a voltage reading of about half of the battery voltage ie 6v..... Hope youve understood whats going on and learnt a little bit of electrickery. The ballast resistance is 1.5ohms and the correct coil is 1.5ohms then the voltage to earth at the connection between the two will be exactly half of the 12v supply but if the coil is 3ohms = 2 x 1.5ohms then the voltage reading will be 12/3 x 2 = 8v to earth.

• Like 2

Well I dont suppose it'll be as easy as replacing the coil, wheres the fun in that? However at least thatll be one thing to cross off the list and then you can work methodically through the other possibilities. Let us know how you get on.....