Hello Adrian

I will get some similar measurement/ pictures as your pictures tomorrow evening I wonder whether the budge on your tunnel is shorter. Just out of interest have you actually fitted the tunnel in the car to see if it fits?

Graham

Graham, I have wondered over the last few days whether it’s differently shaped to original. It might even be just larger radii as it’s a vac form. It has been in the car and even with the 1/2” of sound and heat insulation it clears the bell housing. 

Hello Adrian

Right then I think I have spotted the problem the feet of the foot rest, with the two hole actually is located on the curve of the tunnel not the flat so the flat you have is bent at 90. So be 110 degrees Approx if looked from above.

Graham

24 minutes ago, Graham C said:

Hello Adrian

Sorry I may not have used the correct word, by flange I meant the larger foot that has two holes to secure the footrest, why not bend that so it fits on the curve, ratherther than flat.

Graham

So then it would fasten into the tunnel with its own screws rather than employ the existing tunnel to body fasteners? How about: no lower foot and bonded to the tunnel over a large area and one fastener at the bulkhead? Even lighter and that bonded joint would be strong enough. 

Adrian,

I cut a hole in my new carpet for the foot rest and got some extra binding tape from the carpet supplier. My sewing's not too good, but it's under my foot where no one can see it. I did consider putting the footrest on top of the carpet, but then how would I get to the oil top up access hole?

I did try to send you this picture while I was in the Leaping Salmon in Berwick High Street, but Scottish internet didn't let it through, something to do with Brexit probably.

tunnel.PNG.92a428753e44587cead4239ac8a73548.PNG

Doug

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

Adrian,

I cut a hole in my new carpet for the foot rest and got some extra binding tape from the carpet supplier. My sewing's not too good, but it's under my foot where no one can see it. I did consider putting the footrest on top of the carpet, but then how would I get to the oil top up access hole?

I did try to send you this picture while I was in the Leaping Salmon in Berwick High Street, but Scottish internet didn't let it through, something to do with Brexit probably.

tunnel.PNG.92a428753e44587cead4239ac8a73548.PNG

Doug

Doug, with the footrest in the factory position, as yours, I find my foot too far down and the rest too close to the clutch pedal. My foot hits it on the way down. My footrest will be almost half way along the oil refill hole. 

6DC572AE-16F6-4B2D-B869-D378C7A2DB9C.jpeg

Adrian,

Ha! All down to the size of your feet then. Andy Cook who comes to East Berks said that when his GT6 was on Car SOS, The big one, Tim, couldn't drive his car with his shoes on because his feet were so big.

Not that I think you're a Hobbit, obviously.

Doug

I cant for the life of me see why yer wanting a foot rest.

Im no long legged, but me legs still bent

and ona long run, i fin it much  moer comfortable t,shuv me foot  beint the clucth pedal,

as it lets me stretch me olde leg

M

3 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Adrian,

Ha! All down to the size of your feet then. Andy Cook who comes to East Berks said that when his GT6 was on Car SOS, The big one, Tim, couldn't drive his car with his shoes on because his feet were so big.

Not that I think you're a Hobbit, obviously.

Doug

? Darn it! Rumbled! 

7B61F7C0-28F7-420F-AF08-01D23F46DBED.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Almost there. This is 0.8 mm thick Al which is quite rigid when bent, riveted and fastened to the tunnel. I have made one out of 1.5 mm thick too as a trial. Graham, it’s attached the way you suggested, better than my original scheme. The threaded inserts are quite secure too, M5 thread. I can supply these as a flat pattern or bent and riveted if anyone else wants to try one. 

2E14E273-7FA0-495C-9C3B-D76AE427E43C.jpeg

654B3704-C88D-4478-9F7C-D4C6174E11A2.jpeg