VITESSE: Original wheel style ??

Hello.

Regarding the wheels shown in the photo, would these have been the originals for a: June 1971 Mk2 Vitesse ??

I currently have a set of "Superlites" that came with the car, although I like them - I'm tempted to find a set of these as in the picture.

Out of interest are they identical to Spitfire wheels ??

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Richard.

post-818-0-51040500-1428512263_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-11777000-1428512297_thumb.jpg

The ones in the pic are 5 1/2j wheels. (arguably) never fitted to factory cars, but available as (possibly) a dealer option?? and certainly as an aftermarket add on, being rather cheaper at the time than alloy wheels.

these days a set of them in very good condition seem to sell for upwards of £200. 

Better (imho) are the 5 1/2j hubcap wheels. I had them on my vitesse, they currently reside on a very nice 13/60. They seem to fetch substantial money when they are up for sale.......

Yes agree with Colin,4.5J Plain Steel wheels with Ro-style Stainless Steel trims standard on Mk2 Vitesse's and GT6 Mk2's?

Similar trims where fitted to the 2.5PI's, Early Stags and even TR5's and very early TR6's, although all Have slight differences and sizing. 

I do like the Look of a Vitesse with these fitted and ran my Vitesse for several years with some N.O.S. Early MK1 2.5PI Trims bought off E-bay for around £70.

Thanks for the info - very useful.

My other thought instead of Minilites etc, is a decent set of Dolomite alloy wheels.

Regards.

Richard.

Dolomite alloys cause a whole new set of pain. The offset is wrong, you need to use spacers. As for finding the wheel nuts, they are unique and hens teeth. Most sprints used larger studs, only the early ones used the same size as "our" cars. And they are made of alloy so tend to strip. New steel ones are available, but about £4 each.

Think Pete means these, have a set I keep thinking of using, they have a mixture of 165 and 175 fitted so can check clearance. Need a set of new tyres for my roadworthy MK1 2L Vitesse but wonder how heavy they will make the steering.

Do not imagine that wheel trims will be available though.

Regards

Paul

post-227-0-91793600-1428653735_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

They will fit, but may well be tight on the arch clearance. I use them on my spit.

Google the idea, see what comes up? I think it has been done.

Bear in mind you would need to sort out fixings. There are no std nuts that can be used to bolt them on via the original wheel studs. I lashed up a system using 60degree wheel washers and wide seated 6o degree wheelnuts. Didn't fall off....

But the best solution by a very long way is to change to the beefy 12mm freelander studs, then use teh MGf or Ford nuts. Will still work with std steel wheels.