GT6 mk 3 wipers: circlip on motor and motor stop

So the wiper motor is back and connected and everything works, to a point. The motor won’t stop unless I time the twist to off pos’n just right and, the circlip on the shaft, in the picture, turns with the shaft and hits the casting. It’s at five o’clock, on the web.  Wrong circlip, bent ? Help please. Thank you. 

BF1CE406-0780-4832-A2CD-FB8E020FB2C1.jpeg

Does yours have the park switch as a small press button operated by a slide by a lever attached to  the rack square end

The slider can be fitted wrong way round and the park is then all at sea,

If the park switch is a sweep arm on the gear running against the round drum cover then you rotate the drum to set the park point 

The circlip is very wrong  should be a simple flat internal  3 legged circlip

Pete

If your wiper motor will not stop unless you stop it yourself the chances are the fault lies with the stop park switch which is the white plastic block at the bottom of the picture. Generally if you have to put you arm out of the window to catch the wipers to hold them in the park position it is this switch. The switch is common to many BL cars of the time. It is held in position by a spring clip on the side. From the picture you it is located on the underside.

Graham

If your wiper motor will not stop unless you stop it yourself the chances are the fault lies with the stop park switch which is the white plastic block at the bottom of the picture. Generally if you have to put you arm out of the window to catch the wipers to hold them in the park position it is this switch. The switch is common to many BL cars of the time. It is held in position by a spring clip on the side. From the picture you it is located on the underside.

Graham

Adrian, that looks like the same motor as a 1500 Spit - it's 2 speed, right? My wiper park became intermittent on my old blue Spit back in 1989 - the Spit was only 8 years old! I had just had a so-called Triumph expert put an overdrive gearbox in. Instead of using the correct gear lever, he had welded 2 together and I would touch the wiper stalk when shifting into 3rd. The following week the wiper park problem hit - most annoying!

Stripping the motor I found there was a lot of axial movement on the gear shaft. The park switch is under the big gear wheel and any wear in the circlip, body, or weakness in the switch will lead to the switch not being activated in the park position. I got a suitable thickness washer, took the hole out to the required diameter (of the shaft) and fitted it under the circlip. And now, 30 years later, the same wiper motor is in my red Spit and still giving good service.

You can test the theory by switching the wipers on and then off. They keep wiping because of the park fault. Now get a flat blade screwdriver - probably quite a small one - and offer it up under the circlip so you can wedge it between the circlip and body. Now twist the screwdriver to lift the shaft. If it's the same problem/solution as mine, the wipers will park next time round. Look at how much you have to lift the shaft and this will lead you to the thickness of washer you require. Voilà!

Cheers, Richard