Copper head gasket

haggis

As there is not great volumes of oil  in the  rocker zone there is little need for seals , and if too dry you may seize a valve to the guide 

Guides easy to drift in with a mandrill and hammer , or a press if available, , good time to ad exhaust seats, 

New guides need the valves reseating as concentricity may change 

So full rework is on the cards , 

you can fiddle the   sump off  on car  and pull a piston if you want to check rings  etc,

You just get dripped on whilst under . Ha!

Bes  leak solver is a good puff of talc powder all over the place any leak makes a trace through the chalk 

Baby powder ....  smells nice too

Good chance the crank rear is a scroll not a seal , so can leak if goes backwards or parked on steep inclines

Pete

Hi Johnny, yes they were lines I was thinking of proceeding with.  I got the head converted to unleaded about 25 years ago,  and pretty sure I did the guides at the same time, I guess nothing lasts forever. 

The good thing that did happen After the Italian tune up was that my spark plugs are now the perfect buff colour and not black, crusty & oily, in fact no signs of oil being on them, the level is now 1/2 way on the dipstick, fingers crossed it stays there. 

Thanks

hag 

Great so the final test is with somebody following your car get the engine hot and see if it puffs smoke when coming back on the throttle after letting it trail. If it does then this time maybe youll need to replace guides and valves (how many miles has it done since the last overhaul?) 

Hi guys, following on from all the great comments, I was just looking around for costs of new valve guides, and noticed both rimmers and moss are doing updated versions in bronze, has anyone used them? And are they different for the Vit6 from the 2l version? It’s a very late 6 with strombergs if that makes a difference. 

Thanks

hag