Upgrading GT6 wash/wipe

Dave C

I've been thinking about upgrading the wash/wipe system on my GT6 Mk3 to one with an electric pump.

Options so far seem to be:

1.   Keep the original washer bottle and fit a late model Spitfire electric pump or an after market electric pump. 

2.   Fit a TR6 bottle assemble with built in electric pump.

3.   Fit a universal after market bottle with built in pump.

Switch options may be to fit a TR6 switch or an after market switch.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has done a similar modification, what works and what doesn't etc....

Thanks,

Dave

My Mk1 had one fitted by the previous owner, who simply exchanged the push-pull lever on the dash face for an electrically operated push lever and fitted the corresponding electric pump in-line with the washer fluid output from the bottle. The pump was mounted to the firewall.

Works just fine!

Though the wipers are still a bit crap.

A small 12v pump fitted inline will work, there are plenty of areas to attach one under the bonnet. You don’t even have to use the original switch position, a small hidden switch down below the dash works very well; you can even place one in a handier position than the original. 

A young MOT guy couldn't find my wiper washer, I demonstrated the hand-draulic nature of the device, he was well impressed. He thought varying the pressure of the push, giving varying strengths of jet a distinct advantage. I think he was taking the...........! :P

I converted mine last year. Used the original bottle and fitted a Lucas motor attached to the bulkhead and fed via the washer switch fitted by a previous owner to operate the horn! Took the live feed for the motor off the live feed to the wiper switch. Removed the push / rotary switch and replaced it with a Lucas rocker switch for the wipers. All seems to work just fine.

Gully