Charging issue, on Vitesse

daverclasper

1 hour ago, DanMi said:

I've often found that poor charging is down to the control box rather than the dynamo. The contacts corrode and then it doesn't charge properly.

Yes the control boxes can suffer from corrosion on the contacts, a quick clean with fine emery paper can sometimes restore operation?

There are 3 sets of contacts for cut-out, voltage & current.

I was messing about with a Mate trying to get a faulty one working on Sunday morning on my car but no amount of cleaning and tweaking of contacts helped this one, when Overheating and Smoke started coming out of it I thought a new unit was the best option?!!😮    

• Like 1

Tim Hunt (CT)  and i spent a whole day on his TR4A/checking setting and measuring all things control box and when all the specs were to satifactry level  a drive down the road blew all the headlamp bulbs

lesson is never mess with a control box even when you have done  wot it said in the test data 

they are cheap enough , but i would put the funds towards  a  A127 or similar alternator and dump the historic click clack open shut coils and contacts the low charge rates and all things of double dark art.and dynamos 

Pete

• Like 1

Agree,

Forget the dark age.

Like group 1 motor oil, the dynamo system is kak. the A127 alternator is a very popular choice from 20A to 85A.

Solid-state identical-looking control boxes are available. They will increase the efficiency and life of the charging system & battery. At a price, if you must keep a dynamo connected.

Cheers,

Iain.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. Any reason why I can't fit the shorter/less output C40 dynamo (kindly donated by Paula (remember her), who had it on her Vit 6, with a RB106/2 control box ) for the time being, with a suitable spacer, or would this do something drastic to my RB 340 Vitesse control box, or any other issues (apart from less charge).

I guess the C40L was fitted to Vit/GT6 due to more ignition demand/D Type solonoid demand?, or other reasons?. 

Cheers, Dave 

Edited by daverclasper

Hi,

Surface rust will have no effect on performance.

If you can remove it. Why not? A coating of "oil" would do no harm IMOH.

Commutator appearance & condition would be more important to longevity.

Cheers,

Iain.

PS.

A light coat of suitable varnish is prob a better idea.

Edited by Spitfire6
Changed advice.