1966 Vitesse Mk1 Conv. Visor and mirror

Paul Marshall

My Vitesse has good sun visors but the rails on which they sit are  tatty. They are painted light cream on the outer side and sort of corroded in the middle part where they go into the mirror. The mirror mounting is also tatty and the mirror has oxidised in parts. Cannot see any replacements in the parts catalogues but I may be looking in the wrong place!

Any suggestions as to where I may find replacements

Paul

5 minutes ago, Paul Marshall said:

My Vitesse has good sun visors but the rails on which they sit are  tatty. They are painted light cream on the outer side and sort of corroded in the middle part where they go into the mirror. The mirror mounting is also tatty and the mirror has oxidised in parts. Cannot see any replacements in the parts catalogues but I may be looking in the wrong place!

Any suggestions as to where I may find replacements

Paul

Hi Paul!  You could try Bernard Littlewood on 07954 392253 he has a garage restoration business and he is in Cardiff

Same as the Herald setup. The centre piece around the mirror is either Triumph grey, as in the early cars, or black, and the rails are only short stubs - fix the centre, slide on the visor, then slide in the end piece and screw or bolt in place. Very easy to disassemble and repaint. The entire mirror part - backing and glass - can be replaced new.

I have found a set of rails on Ebay for the sun visors

Mick couldn't supply complete mirror or mirror only.

I found one at 

http://www.hipwellarden.co.uk/jemca-accessories/4594004008

£20.

There was a mirror on Ebay  for £49 but the seller did not reply to offers or enquiries.

Thanks to everyone for their replies and help

Paul

When you say rails, where did you get them from? They're really only metal rods so should be easy to remake. Convertibles just have a small clip on either end no more than about an inch long.

That eBay mirror is vastly overpriced, you can get them at your link (good site, that!) or else at places like the NEC or Stoneleigh, where I got mine (don't want to be smug but it was £1 and the seller had plenty). you don't realise how much they have faded until you see the new one.

Incidentally the large sunvisor mirrors are also available from shows at £1 so don't pay big money for one of those either.

DSCF7126.jpg.40654b4e0869f8314f071b218219be5f.jpg

This is where I got the rails.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-HERALD-VITESSE-CONVERTIBLE-SUN-VISOR-VISORS-BRACKET-BRACKETS-PAIR/351164426403?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I have already ordered the mirror at £20 which looked alright to me! We live and we learn! This was the one on Ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-HERALD-1200-12-50-13-60-JEMCA-INTERIOR-MIRROR-NEW-OLD-STOCK-ORIGINAL/263951472895?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2763.l2649

I am away at the moment but I will get my man cracking next week.

He needs to fit new scuttle panels I have bought, recondition the gear linkage with the Canley kit, and move the clutch pedal over a bit to make room for my size 12s.

Has anyone fitted foot rest next to the clutch pedal I think this might help me?

Paul

37 minutes ago, Paul Marshall said:

Those are the little convertible clips I mentioned earlier; other cars such as my estate use a full-length rail that runs right through the visor and into a clip on the bodywork at the other end. That's the metal rod bit I meant. Those short clips are hard to find - glad to see you sourced some.