Spark Plugs

68vitesse

Been having a sort out of bits for my 2L Mk1 Vitesse and came across this selection of spark plugs.

Champion N9YC, N11YC4 and N279YC

Unipart GSP 4362

NGK BP5E 4669 And NGK BP6ES 7811

Only ones where I have six the same are the BP5E, but looking on the net it appears all could be used without problems in my engine.

Is this correct?.

Many thanks

Regards

Paul

It's a tall order asking to check all those references on your behalf, when it appears that you have already ascertained the answer via your own research.

I've attached this very useful and informative document which will be of assistance and give you more research opportunities.

https://www.ngkpartfinder.co.uk/files/NGK_Classic_Vehicles.pdf

Of note your Vitesse and in fact my Vitesse are shown BP5ES and yet I use BP6ES without issue; as with all guides, it is just that  - a guide.

Hope it helps.

Good luck.

Richard. 

22 hours ago, classiclife said:

It's a tall order asking to check all those references on your behalf, when it appears that you have already ascertained the answer via your own research.

All my research was done through Google as I do not have spark plug reference books, information on the net can be correct or incorrect.

For example when trying to find the thread type on the gearbox angledrive  I bought a die as quoted in the text but looking later at the published picture it clearly showed a different thread die being used.

If members of this forum can help me it is much appreciated if they don't wish to help it's up to them.

Regards

Paul

The NGK link I provided should be able to assist you with the those spark plugs you listed, Paul.

I would say that if they x-ref to either BP5ES or BP6ES then you can be certain that the match is correct.

However and as you will expect, not all spark plug makes are as good as each other and there is certainly a pecking order plus the personal choice factor.

Regards.

Richard.

A warning.

Last summer, for fun, I bought a set of those multi ground electrode plugs from ebay for my rather nippy Herald-convertible-with-a-1500-spitfire-engine. They seemed to work well with the car starting on the button and running nicely at all revs... All winter she sat in the garage behaving herself, starting well a couple of times during the cold winter months.

At the beginning of May what happened? Nothing ....that's what. Blighter just would not start. I checked everything.. three times...timing.....fuel...condenser...cables...floats...pump...filter...carbs...needles..spark...switch...starter motor...battery.

For various reasons (personal accident) I was unable to go near the car until this week...but I am now able to walk again and my mate Chris came around  and we had another go. She fired once every 10 turns of the key.

This was a two cups of tea job.....

Those new plugs from last year seemed a no-brainer - how could they have failed? To humour Chris I picked up a set of old plugs from my 1955 minor, scrubbed them with the wire brush machine and screwed them in. Yes...you know what happened next - started FIRST time and ran beautifully. As Chris says (retired banker)..she go like bomb...

Moral - DON'T BUY CHINESE PLUGS!

David F

I cant understand it David, all four plugs failed together! I know Chinese quality is sometimes lacking but that seems incredible, are you sure you didnt disturb something else? It would be interesting to try them again to confirm it or maybe just see what spark theyre producing or not.....

I once told a guy who plagued me in my office about his Vx 4/90 timing and HT so taking the mick I suggested he stuck ht lead in his mouth and turn the engine and he would feel when it fired.

Next day I had to get security to remove him ...well  it proved the leads were ok   

Dont do this  at home I guess 

Pete

• Haha 1

(I lied about buying those plugs last summer...it was Feb 2018 from the email invoice I've just found). But hey...18 months of very light use!?

However, I have since connected all four, separately, to a flying HT lead and yes, one sparked the once every few turns...the others not at all. Is this a record?? 

That was another 2 cups job....strong...no sugar.

I don't blame the 8 yr olds in the factories...it's the quality control which is lacking...

DF

39 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

I once told a guy who plagued me in my office about his Vx 4/90 timing and HT so taking the mick I suggested he stuck ht lead in his mouth and turn the engine and he would feel when it fired.

Next day I had to get security to remove him ...well  it proved the leads were ok   

Dont do this  at home I guess 

Pete

Good one, hard to believe he fell for it. :)  You will also remember the champion spark plug cleaner/tester's mounted to metal benches? Not many people leaned on them.....

Tony. 

25 minutes ago, 00/63484 said:

(I lied about buying those plugs last summer...it was Feb 2018 from the email invoice I've just found). But hey...18 months of very light use!?

However, I have since connected all four, separately, to a flying HT lead and yes, one sparked the once every few turns...the others not at all. Is this a record?? 

That was another 2 cups job....strong...no sugar.

I don't blame the 8 yr olds in the factories...it's the quality control which is lacking...

DF

not quality control as with so many failures its got to be in the design/manufacturing (sorry 8yr olds) and I cant understand how they manage to get it so wrong! A spark plug's not exactly a complicated item and I would have thought that with some minor, easy (cheap?) improvements they could  produce something half decent....

23 hours ago, johny said:

not quality control as with so many failures its got to be in the design/manufacturing (sorry 8yr olds) and I cant understand how they manage to get it so wrong! A spark plug's not exactly a complicated item and I would have thought that with some minor, easy (cheap?) improvements they could  produce something half decent....

Actually it's not either a quality control or design/manufacturing issue, it's the fact that from eBay you were probably buying ones taken from the 'rejected' bin.

I dont know cos to begin with these all worked ok and then something caused them to all failed prematurely at the same time and presumibly for the same reason!!! I would have thought any manufacturer who wants to stay in business would identify such a common problem and fix it rather than make them only to chuck em in the reject bin.....