Front valance brackets

Gadgetman

I’ve just bought a new Vitesse front valance from that well known supplier near Lincoln. I’ve just discovered it’s not got the bumper bracket or lower attachment brackets fitted. ( See the pictures for what I’m on about)

8D1B8C37-8775-4743-B4E2-F470F1478564.thumb.jpeg.42c78f215d3c77bf431e1ee6bc5c66cb.jpeg74D61FFE-0471-4061-A064-6EC2119317F2.thumb.jpeg.cd734ed975e69775a215193e439eeb53.jpegI’d assumed that it would come with these as they aren’t listed separately in the parts book !  

Does anyone know if the valance should have these fitted as if so this ones going back!

Alternatively does any one supply the lower brackets as I could weld them on. ( I can make the bumper bracket if needed)

1548A2F2-368C-408A-9397-117F65B6089C.jpeg

I bought one of these years back (in the 1990s) from Fitchetts and the lower brackets were supplied, but not attached, just taped inside the valence. I was told at the time that you fit and gap the valence, then position the brackets to brace the valence whilst in the proper location against the chassis, and tackweld them onto the rear of the valence. The car was resprayed before they were ever fitted. 

Regarding the bumper brackets I'd guess it's a one-size-fits-all for Heralds and Vitesse; the unit is supplied as a basic and you're expected to add the bits for your specific model.

Give Chic Doig a ring, he'll either supply them or make them if no-one else that you've tried has them.

Valence is different from the Herald one as radiator is fitted as far forward as you can in Vitesse. Made some lower brackets by cutting the shape in thick ply then using them to shape the metal, all for my long term project.

As Colin said fit the valence first but also fit the radiator as the front of a Vitesse is a bit tight.

Best of luck

Paul

On 28/08/2019 at 20:06, Gadgetman said:

Colin do you want to sell a pair?

I can't take the risk and then find out I'm short of some, especially if they're not supplying them any more along with the valences. Sorry for tantalising you with the photo (which was to jog member's memories in case they have any lying about!)

I'm still almost 100% certain Chic Doig can supply.

On 28/08/2019 at 20:15, 68vitesse said:

Valence is different from the Herald one as radiator is fitted as far forward as you can in Vitesse.

I think there's only one valence made these days, the later one with the bulge for the radiator as per Herald 13/60 and Vitesse. Early Herald versions, the smooth rounded front, are almost impossible to get. Last one I managed to find cost me an arm and a leg and it was still second-hand even then.

Frontunder.jpg.6079b5621a9dff16f1514e5c6a743854.jpg

The later Herald Valance has the opening for the rad below the bumper section. But there is also another small difference on the original. On the Vitesse the section on the top of the valance adjacent to the rad points up (continues upward) and not bent inward as on the Herald. You have to bend this up otherwise you will not get the correct clearance with the rad. It may be the repro types are as the Vitesse now days, but it's still worth a check

Valance 1.JPG