Gt6 mk3 water pump

Dolomitejohn

Hi all. 

Is it possible or worth keeping a Stanpart waterpump? It's leaks badly. Was going to throw it out but thought it might be possible to recondition it. Any thoughts? 

Also want to thank all who have helped me with the gt6 and its re commissioning. Its been an adventure and I have really enjoyed it.  I have driven over 600 miles and had such fun. Not bad for a car that's been off the road for 20 years... On Saturday it will be sold to its new owner who is going to take it to the next level and maybe even fully restore the bodywork. I will then be buying my 2500 mk2 saloon for more fun. 

Thanks again. 

John 

Yes, keep it, assuming it was off the GT6 as it is the same for the other six cylinder cars.

Classic life/Richard has used a company to recondition a water pump. Tad more than buying new, but it carries a lifetime guarantee, unlike the new ones that are almost guaranteed to fail within a few years. Or less.

BTW if you are happy with the difference between the small chassis GT6 and the saloon, it is a fine choice. Probably the best handing Triumph out there, and incredibly refined. The fly in the ointment is the "S" version, which did get very soft and dropped power, all easily sorted. But they are fantastic for covering large distances at (Ahem) high speeds. Autobahn of course. In fact last week we were touring Europe with about 80 other Triumphs. And on the autobahns seeing a line of saloons whipping along well into 3 figures was heartwarming. Surprised a few of the ordinary cars too.

Hi doug 

It was a hard decision but it had to be done. Has released some cash so I can fix the dolomite sprint and will enable me to take the family out in classic style more often. A young lad (23) is the new owner and he is going to continue to improve the gt6 with his dad going forward. I have plans for the 2500 to make it a bit more sporty. Already has tubular manifold and sports exhaust. At some point I want to drive the grossglockner mountain in Austria. The 2500 will be perfect for this.    

What do you think about my water pump reconditioning idea? Can it be done?  

John 

Hi clive

Was it you guys driving the grossglockner in Austria? 

.my 2500 is a convert 1972 2000 auto to 2500 s. Spec. Ride height looks lowish but it does have the front roll bar. Virtually no rust and only one weld repair. 

Which club organised the Europe drive? Does it happen every year? 

Cheers Clive. 

John 

28 minutes ago, Dolomitejohn said:

What do you think about my water pump reconditioning idea? Can it be done?  

John,

Sorry, I was so shocked about the GT6  I forgot about the water pump. As Clive says the quality of new parts is variable and uncertain, so hang onto the old stuff if it's recoverable. Hopefully Richard will be along shortly to give details of his repairer. 

I've just replaced my starter motor, only 45 years old (nothing lasts! :angry:) I don't expect the new one to live so long, so refurbishing the old one.

Doug

11 hours ago, Dolomitejohn said:

Hi all. 

Is it possible or worth keeping a Stanpart waterpump? It's leaks badly. Was going to throw it out but thought it might be possible to recondition it. Any thoughts? 

John 

It's definitely possible to recondition it UNLESS it's a solid state later version - a genuine Stanpart model might be early enough to work on. Early ones have a small nut on the pulley so can be taken apart relatively easily; later ones are sealed and presumably can only be dismantled by use of the correct procedure and tools.

I've reconditioned mine before now (although they were early herald versions) - the rubber bellows seal is still available if you search, as are the bearings.

11 hours ago, Dolomitejohn said:

Hi clive

Was it you guys driving the grossglockner in Austria? 

.my 2500 is a convert 1972 2000 auto to 2500 s. Spec. Ride height looks lowish but it does have the front roll bar. Virtually no rust and only one weld repair. 

Which club organised the Europe drive? Does it happen every year? 

Cheers Clive. 

John 

Richard/Classic life had his pump reconditioed and very pleased, especially with the warranty! Ideal for a "keeper"

Yes, just home from about 2000 miles, 14 or so passes, 10 countries etc etc. If going there you NEED to do way more than just the one pass, there are so many.....

All organised by Club Triumph, who have serious history with organising such events (the biannual RBRR started in 1966, not many clubs have an event that has been around so long) but the 10CR slots in the alternate years to the RBRR, both fantastic events. But be warned, once entry opens you have to be fast to get a place. As in hours, they are extremely popular.

Re suspension, we were convoying with a stag and a PI. Discussions over cake led me to a few conclusions. The BEST suspension kit is from James Shackford. Special (unique to him) Konis and I guess some suitable springs. Comments included that the car handles superbly but is also comfortable/compliant. Also Rimmers have some CV jointed propshafts that would be a good buy, not really advertised and I believe a modified Rover SDi part. Would cost a fortune to have made, but under £200 and will resolve many issues.

Honestly, a good big saloon really puts the handling of every other model to shame...and as you say, seats 4 in comfort and can perform as well as many modern cars. 180bhp achievable quite happily.

13 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Hopefully Richard will be along shortly to give details of his repairer. 

Evening !!

I use EP Services which is a water pump reconditioning company that can overhaul any water pump of any vintage and rebuild with modern technology. Their workmanship is brilliant and in addition to that they offer a lifetime guarantee so long as you keep the car. Prices are very decent and you can expect to pay about £65 for a Vitesse / GT6 water pump. I know Colin has used them as well, for his Herald I believe, and happy with their services. 

A friend of mine with a Sunbeam Alpine who is as fussy as hell, was over the moon with the quality & overhaul service of his pump.................... that is praise indeed from him !!!

Turn around time is between 2-3 days. Here is the link: http://www.ep-services.co.uk/our_company

Anybody who needs their water pump replaced / overhauled due to wear and tear, would do well to consider this company.

I have no financial connection, just a happy Triumph and Daimler customer.

Regards.

Richard.

12 hours ago, classiclife said:

I use EP Services which is a water pump reconditioning company that can overhaul any water pump of any vintage and rebuild with modern technology. Their workmanship is brilliant and in addition to that they offer a lifetime guarantee so long as you keep the car. Prices are very decent and you can expect to pay about £65 for a Vitesse / GT6 water pump. I know Colin has used them as well, for his Herald I believe, and happy with their services. 

Turn around time is between 2-3 days. Here is the link: http://www.ep-services.co.uk/our_company

I'll second that, Richard! You sent me that link many moons ago and I've since had two pumps reconditioned by EP to superb standards; I did two myself but eventually decided that for around £50 it wasn't worth the hassle. The early Herald pumps are all brass rather than cast iron so worth restoring.