Cleaning off under seal from Vitesse bonnet

Paul H

My Vitesse bonnet needs attention and need to remove the PO under seal to see the extent of the problem , The Smart Scraper attachment for my multi tool seems to be working the photo shows 10 mins work . Not much heat generated and the rust in the middle seam has been exposed . The scraper was part of a tile kit though can be purchased individually for about £6 

The pic is the underside of the near side wheel arch 

Paul

4669D18C-C8C1-4140-BC5B-EFFE56151F2B.thumb.jpeg.8231d4feee2a761754b81cdc96abe511.jpeg

The mess would put me off.   A better tool is a CrudThug. 

This is a US commercial about it, with all that taht implies, but I've seen it in action, and it really works!

There are copies available, eg DynaZip, Dynabrade that I haven't seen, but for a whole bonnet, I'd consider getting one!

JOhn

30 minutes ago, JohnD said:

The mess would put me off.   A better tool is a CrudThug. 

This is a US commercial about it, with all that taht implies, but I've seen it in action, and it really works!

There are copies available, eg DynaZip, Dynabrade that I haven't seen, but for a whole bonnet, I'd consider getting one!

JOhn

Rustbuster sells the MX Blaster which looks similar , about £350 plus ancilliaries 

Paul 

Just now, daverclasper said:

Hi Paul. Was there any indication that it was rusting, before you removed the underseal?.

Thanks, Dave

None whatsoever , I needed to remove the under seal as there are some repairs necessary to the wing by the bonnet locks . The rust is sitting happily underneath the seam all the way along . Plan is to strip the underside of the bonnet, repair where necessary , treat the rust with Bilthamber Deox Gel . Paint with epoxy mastic undercoat from Bilthamber ,  then paint with cellulose code 66 Valencia Blue and overspray with Bilthamber Dynax UC which is transparent .

The underseal is very dry and crumbly , still a pig to get off though and will need a solvent or similar to get back to original surface 

Paul